Review DoubleTree International Kunshan (Shanghai)

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TRAVELSIG, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at this hotel a few times recently as it is very convenient for meetings in the local area.

The hotel is very new (opened in December 2011) and has a location in a very quick growing office and retail complex area. The metro does connect this hotel with Shanghai and it is possible actually to arrive all the way to the airport through public transport however it is very far away- I would recommend staying here if you have local business in the area or for the Formula 1 or MotoGP which are at the nearby Shanghai racetrack (9 kms from the hotel).

The good:

Staff are always very friendly and the welcoming. I noticed on the recent visit that the doorman was absent however I think that is because of the vacation in China for the China National Day/autumn festival. Note this area is 99% about business and as such is very quiet if there is not work going on.

The rooms are the best Doubletree design I have ever seen- in fact this hotel stresses a lot more its HILTON connection than Doubletree- HILTON is a well known brand in China where as Doubletree is just starting out.

One point I have noted is it looks like there were some problems with the build quality in the bathroom that have had to be fixed afterwards (repaired)- it does not impact the stay and also the bathroom is quite well designed. The corner rooms I prefer as they don't have the window looking from the bathroom into the room- the trend in China now seems to be to build every hotel room with this window looking into the bedroom so I have become used to it.

Internet is both wired and wireless and is quite fast with a good VPN. Note if only wireless connection it is necessary to call the front desk for a password- they are fast in providing it.

Breakfast has an excellent selection in the main restaurant/buffet- I have also had lunch here and dinner on occasion and it is a good choice. The Chinese restaurant on the 2nd floor is excellent and has a number of small VIP rooms which can be used for company functions and dinners- I have used this facility a couple of times and it is great.

Overall- if you are in this area this is by far the best hotel around- just remember that if you need to go into the centre of Shanghai it will take 90 minutes- 2 hours depending on traffic.

uggboy likes this.