Review- Crowne Plaza LAX

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by rwoman, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crowne Plaza -LAX

I chose this CP because of its proximity to LAX and not wanting my sister to make the 170 mile round trip twice in about 12 hours. :)

I'd read existing reviews (quite variable) and knew that the property is currently being refurbished.

PC Platinum Benefits:
    - I was kindly greeted at check in by two very nice desk agents.
    - Received an upgrade to the Club floor.
    - Complimentary breakfast buffet ($18.50) and drink in the coffee shop.

Check-in:
    Very prompt and I was on my way up to my room.

Room:
    As stated, they are refurbishing this property. My room was very large, had a nice view, and had not been updated.

Pros - very comfortable bed/linens; four great pillows; variety of TV channels; free bottle of water; good shower; excellent hair dryer; top floor of the hotel.

Cons - badly stained carpet; duvet was worn and frayed; toothpick lying next to bathroom trash can (not touching it); went to the desk drawer to see if they had stationery so I could mail a letter and found Trojans instead (packaged, but not touching them either).

Amenities:
    - Wifi - the hotel charges $10.95 for 24 hours of Internet. The coffee shop in the lobby charges for wifi (cheaper with drink purchase) and four PC's available at a minimum $5 cost. I was surprised this served as the business center.

- Restaurant/coffee shop - I visited the restaurant for breakfast. It is an extensive buffet with a combination of hot items, fruit, pastries, muffins, etc. The coffee shop serves a variety of coffees, danishes, muffins, bagels, Krispy Kreme, and to go items.

- Gym - the gym had treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, free weights, and machine weights. Small, but very functional.

- Airport shuttle - there is a free shuttle bus that us used by multiple hotels. At 630am, it was full and some had to wait for the next bus.

One thing I want to mention... My family drove me from dinner and shopping to the hotel. My sister waited at a red light to make a right turn onto Century Blvd - it was hard to see oncoming traffic because of parked cars, so she waited at the red light for a green. The shuttle driver behind us laid on the horn a lot since she waited, which I'm pretty sure is legal; I did not know it would be the same driver that pulled up in front of the CP as we unloaded our bags.

We were along the curb unloading my stuff and the bus lays on the horn again...claiming it was not us he was yelling/honking at when I approached him to ask for a minute to get my stuff. He said it was the other car...which was unoccupied, so his honking was not going to help move it anywhere Anyway, as a customer I thought this was really unprofessional ... perhaps an open trunk and me taking out my belongings was not obvious.

I've stayed at CP properties in London, Atlanta, and NYC. Of them, this is the most dingy I've stayed in, but they are re-doing it. That said, I probably would not stay here again until the refurb is done or I would go with another PC property...likely one with free wifi.

2. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cons - found Trojans instead (packaged, but not touching them either).
    Shouldn't that go in the "Amenities" category???

I think I'll add hotel to the "Avoid" category.....;)

TheBeerHunter, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Guess where I stayed last night, too? That's right Crowne Plaza LAX. I had dinner with another MPer after I checked i after the MegaDO. I wish I would have asked you about your hotel when I emailed you about your LAX flights. A missed opportunity! Btw, I agree with your assessment. This property is not bad, but needs a lot of work. I stayed last weekend, too.

When I stayed at the Hilton Beijing Capital Airport, they offered an "intimacy kit" for $5 in the minibar that included condoms and other nefarious items. :D

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is common in W minibars. In hotels in China, I have found underwear, sometimes disposable, for sale. Locally managed hotels tend to have prices on toiletry items in the bathroom that I would expect to be free.

Could the Trojans just have been the result of USC school spirit? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Time to duck.

uggboy, rwoman and JosephMay like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I put it at the end since I was not certain where it fit. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here once last year. One weird thing I noticed was that it was cheaper to buy 2 2-hour sessions of wi-fi ($1.95 each) than 1 4-hour session of wi-fi ($4.95 each). It was odd enough I took a pic of it on my phone: http://i.imgur.com/TZKni.jpg

I don't stay at hotels often (this stay was on DL's dime, as this is their contract hotel at LAX if you IDB/VDB off the last flight of the night) ... is this common?

rwoman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd indeed! Thanks for sharing!

rwoman likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I found especially amusing (in Chinese hotels) was that the "compressed" underwear had to be moistened to make it pop out into normal (?) undies. I cannot imagine that dampness enhances the wearing experience of one-size fits all, compressed, hotel emergency panties!

rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. Skypath

Skypath Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, how long have they been offering this? Admittedly it's been a while since I last stayed at the CP LAX but unfortunately I don't recall receiving this benefit. :confused:

10. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points: