Review: Crowne Plaza, Helsinki, Finland

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by tom911, Apr 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

I spent 3 nights here last week in an average sized room with flat screen TV. On arrival was upgraded to the Club Floor (9th/top floor). Had a room facing a side street and slept very well. Not much in terms of a view (if you had a front-facing room there is a huge park with iced-over lake across the street).

Club access here gives you round the clock access to an assortment of soft drinks and juices, as well as lounge seating and access to magazines and newspapers. There was a coffee machine to the side but I did not use it, so not sure if that's always available or not. If you like Diet Coke you'll have to adjust your preferences here to Coke Zero. A self-serve continental breakfast was included (two cereals, two juices, two kinds of sliced meat/cheeses, yogurt, fruit bowl, pastries). I left full each morning and was the only guest there most of the time, though I may be down earlier than most.

They also offer beer, wine and snacks each night from 6-8. Only had some cheese and bread my first night there and headed right out. I dropped by my last night just before 8 and didn't see anything that interested me. Unless you happen to be at the hotel I would not make a special effort for the food offerings as they are pretty sparse. If you don't like paying $9 for beers in the city, and want to have a couple, then you might like it here.

As part of your nightly rate, you are entitled to access to a basement sauna within the locker room, pool and extensive gym with exercise machines. I did make it down to the sauna one day. It looked like a lot of the guests have memberships and are not hotel guests.

The property has a huge lobby and this photo probably only covers 1/4 of the available seating:

The hotel is a 15 min walk from the main train station/downtown area with wide sidewalks accommodating both pedestrians and bicycles. There are tram stops a block on either side of the hotel. The 3T will come out at Opera and take a back route into the city. The 4 and 10 pass right by the hotel and take the same route you would walk in on. A 2 day tram pass was 12 euros (1 day is 8 euros). I bought my tram pass in the city at the stop in front of the train station. There are not any ticket vending machines at the two stations near the hotel.

More hotel photos here:!i=2457995002&k=9pTV9zv
    guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.