Reverse running (ex UK)

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by schooleydoo, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am a 5 year FT member and have benefited from a couple of great mistake fares in that time and gained valuable knowledge on maximising miles per £ spent on everyday expenditure. Years ago, I came across the MR forum.

As a 24 year old from a small village in the UK, I love to get out whenever possible. Insufficient funds usually put paid to any trip daydreams however, so the trick it thread seemed a gift from above! I got the basics of it after a few months, then for a while excitedly waited for somebody to post a clue from a departure point local to me. I quickly noticed that they were almost all ex US, so I tried to reverse them to ex EU.

It almost never worked, for example the recent NYC-CPH when reversed came in at almost triple. I was wondering whether anyone else has had success with swapping the departure and destination points of a run, or whether each run is specific to not only a particular route, but a particular direction too?

I was also hoping that somebody might know of some more EU friendly tools to start with? ITA is great if you have a known departure point... but that knowledge usually comes from Farecompare, which only works for flights from EU-US!

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. meecks
    Original Member

meecks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there are many dumpable fares even ex-Eu, I think for exemple good ones with IB via MAD or BCN, or UA from FRA or MUC...
    I'm still in the "missing MR DEALS thread" way, because that's the thread you need...
    The very first lesson I learned about FD, is that you need a cheap fare, city pair, and patient to read a very loooooooong thread on FT, now with MP I hope everything could be faster!!!
    Finally, I hope to see the FD guru around here, WingedWorldExplorer where are you?? :)

3. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Schooleydoo - I am ex UK as well, and am having some challenges getting tools to work. I've found some fares for what I am looking for (C3) with good potential, and am toying with them to see if I can get anything to disappear. So far, no luck.

4. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finished 2 years of EU-US-EU round trips. For part it of it was much cheaper to fly with EU as an origin - I was looking for W fares on UA. So I did LHR-ORD-LHR AMS-ORD-LHR LHR-ORD-VIE VIE-ORD-FCO and finally FCO-IAD-LHR. It was dodgy planning my return to Europe but I always worked something out. I was able to get cheap fares but could not FD.

5. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ex-EU is the answer due to the stupid APD increase. Ex-UK, it's an insta-fine of £60 for a TATL before you begin. Considering you could position out to (say) Dublin or Amsterdam for less than half of the APD, and yield more miles along the line, it's a no-brainer when mileage running (more of a pain if you're not and got major cargo to take with you - then it's easier to swallow the APD)

Note that going ex-Germany or Austria will result in their equivalents of APD.... Food for thought..

weegiewife likes this.