Revenue Ticket Change: Normal Or Oddity?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Pizzaman, Feb 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I tried to change a BA revenue ticket today (all flights on BA metal). Website wouldn't let me, which wasn't surprising.
    I called and asked for help.

Me: Hi. I have a revenue ticket I need help changing. I need to change the outbound flight to one day later, return stays the same. I'm aware of the change fees.
    BA: Okay, hold on a few moments.
    Lengthy hold ensues…..
    BA: Okay, we needed to get the fare desk involved. It's going to take a few days for them to get back to you. Where can we reach you?
    Me: The flight is in roughly 3 weeks. I'm worried the fare will move while we're waiting for the fare desk to reprice. Is there any way to resolve this today?
    BA: Nope.

I've seen in the past what BA's definition of a few days is. Is this normal behavior? Maybe I should just call back and ask to cancel the ticket and then reapply funds to a new ticket?

traveltoomuch and iolaire like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In as few words as possible .. yes this is normal behavior for BA. An airline some love ( they will be soon be here to tell you :)) but which is woefully inadequate when comes it changes of any kind, irregular ops and baggage handling. With winter storms in NA and Europe you are lucky even to get hold of anybody (to tell they cant help)
    Good luck and I suggest you make proactive steps without waiting on them to respond.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, that's what I figured. So, cancel and rebook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the cancel/rebook fee the same as the change fee?

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yep. I cancelled and rebooked. Have to wait for refund to post but back on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't normal procedure. When a change is requested, the normal practice is for the requested sectors to be added to the booking (thereby avoiding the issue of availability shifting pending a decision from fares). I see you have taken the step of cancelling and re-booking. So this isn't going to help you this time. But next time, if the agent doesn't offer it, you should ask for the new sectors to be held in the booking.