Reunion Island - (RUN) To SFO/SJC/OAK... How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MMSB01, Mar 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I was asked this morning to help find a round-trip flight from Reunion Island (off the coast of Madagascar, near Mauritius), to San Francisco sometime in April. The first thought that came to mind was... does reunion island have an airport? It seems about as remote as Bora Bora for all intensive purposes.

Does anyone know if this is something accomplishable on award miles, and if so with which programs? I was given a budget of $2500 for one in economy class, but don't think that will cover it on a conventional routing. If there is anyone out there who has suggestions about how to piece this together or even if buying or trading points from various programs would be cheaper than paying out of pocket considering the odd location.

Thanks for any help!

Also: help with where to post such a question if mods feel this has a better location, do let me know.

jbcarioca and misman like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AirFrance (AF) is the only major airline that flies down there, and there will be a couple of plane changes involved, and $2500 round trip ain't gonna cut it either, based on my random sampling of days in April.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have friends and relatives who come from Reunion Island regularly, Reunion Island has air port and they use to fly to Mauritius first for flight to HK or Paris and to SFO.

Air French has award ticket for this.

Good Luck.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the updates, I checked AirFrance. They have an award ticket for RUN to SFO for 40k miles (Classic) and $483 in fees, but no availability for return. I have access to AMEX MR and Delta. I checked Delta's booking engine but of course none of those flights come up.

Anyone have ideas for a short hop that would get this person in range of a UA *A or AA OW award?

karung99 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just in case you did not kno,. Reunion is a département of France and thus the AF flight CDG-RUN is technically a domestic flight. The island is very interesting to visit and has wonderful wildlife, jungles and beaches, as well as several excellent resorts. It is easy to get form their to Mauritius or the Seychelles of South Africa. From an award perspective I am certain that johannesburg will be the best bet for awards.

karung99 likes this.
  6. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you book one way first, and keep shopping for the return, you might be able to use other airline or fly back to Paris first and get another local flight to RUN.

7. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct except Reunion has few beaches at all and maybe one which can be considered above average. And only one resort is almost 5 star qualilty. Basically it's more like Marigot, St. Martin, than a tropical paradise although the interior is a lot of fun for trekking.

Air France, Air Austral, Air Mauritius are the main air carriers. Retail airfares are ridiculously high, just like to Seychelles, but tour operators have ridiculously low bulk fares, often better than consolidators. See if SITA can help, they used to be the US agent for Air Austral and Air Mauritius.

Another possible route would be DL or other awards to SYD and then the hop west to RUN for about US$1200 rt (retail) on Air Austral.

8. MMSB01
    Original Member

MMSB01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I came close to getting this to work. I found an AirFrance award ticket through delta from RUN>ORY/CDG>SFO, 40K delta miles and $483 taxes. However! Delta does not do one way unless you pay the round trip price of 80k miles.
    I had planned for the return a star alliance award with UA for 45k miles and $283 SFO>FRA>JNB and $500 fare to RUN from JNB. Delta of course threw a hole in that one. (on another note, the CS agent I got was really helpful and tried 10-15 bookings for me as she apparently was familiar with the geography, the best she could do was round trip from JNB to SFO for 100k Delta.

What i did eventually find though, was booking RUN>ORY>RUN for $1130 AI and CDG>ORD>SFO>ORD>CDG for $938 AI.

My original budget to book this flight was $2500 and I came in at $2,068. If they weren't family I would have kept the change for my troubles. Too bad!

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. Ultimately it was Skyscanner.com that helped to get it all put together.

misman likes this.