Reunion Island Lodging and activity advice

Discussion in 'Africa' started by mattsteg, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I will be spending some time on Reunion Island (2-3 days) late in May. Does anyone have advice on where is best to base out of or any specific places to stay? Also, any advice on memorable experiences we should seek out? Pretty sure we'll take a helicopter tour as the views just look jaw dropping, but still undecided on what else we want to put a high priority on.

Advice on Mauritius is welcome as well - we're looking to that as the relaxed and laid back portion of the trip.

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, serious envy. I have absolutely no knowledge of specifics, I just have a fondness in my heart for islands that are difficult to visit.

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. champacs

champacs New Member

Status Points:
    Hi
    2-3 days is not very long to experience everything Réunion has to offer! There are lots of possibilities - hiking, climbing, canyoning, diving, surfing, paragliding. The best place to base yourselves really depends on what you think you'll want to do and what your priorities are. Most tourists stay somewhere along the west coast between St Gilles and St Leu. An alternative to the helicopter flight could be a ULM flight.

mattsteg likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks champacs! It's awesome to get such a quick response from someone from Réunion! I know we're cutting things pretty tight. Our tentative plan is to do most of our scuba/snorkel stuff from Mauritius, where we are spending a similar length of time, and focus on things like hiking, aerial activities, etc. on Réunion. We wish we had longer to stay!

My wife and I are fairly active people, but not experienced climbers/canyoners/etc. We would definitely enjoy exposure to them, but would be starting with very little experience. Are there any providers that you would suggest/recommend? English-speaking is a huge plus.

Helicopter or ULM would both be interesting, as would paragliding - are there any providers of these that you would recommend?

Overall priority is to enjoy the beauty of Réunion as well as enjoy some of the activities you listed and have a very active few days there before heading to Mauritius for 1 day of diving and a bit of relaxing. I expect that we will be more time-limited on Reunion because of all of the wonderful experiences you list!

We've barely had time to plan!

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were able to rearrange our schedule to trade away a day in Paris for another day in Reunion for a total of 4. Still not long enough but slightly more manageable I think.

Can't wait to explore your island.

6. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed a lot downhill mountainbiking the Maido, 3-4 hours going through different landscapes (from rocky mountains to sugar canes) with stunning view