Returning a car to FRA terminal 2 - a warning

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by ralfkrippner, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks - a warning to everybody returning a car to FRA terminal 2: Avis agents there will inspect you car VERY closely for every scratch. This policy from start of this year on was confirmed by the service rep at the Avis counter. Status may help in protesting charges he added.

My car had a very small scratch at the bumper which could only be seen by kneeling down, wiping some dirt away and shining a flashlight to the scratch. A minute later I had a return slip with a 491,81 Euro (!!!) damage on it. Unbelievable. Of course I refused to sign it. And at home I saw that there were several damages stated on my rental agreement which were not yet put into the database and onboard manual.

So if you intent returning to this station better have every scratch noted in you rental agreement upon pick up.

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the inspecting agents work for Avis, or are they part of a "shared" pool of agents who inspect all cars?

3. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked this question to the Avis Service Rep upstairs and he said that there is a pool of employees several rental companies at FRA terminal 2 share and a supervisor decides which jacket they have to wear on a specific day. Since start of the year they seem to get into deep trouble if the let a returned car with a scratch be slipped throuh incomming inspection. So they literally put your car under the microscope. I first wanted to lough as the agent kneeled down and inspected the car from below with a flashligth...

East_Yorker likes this.
  4. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you refuse to sign the return slip do zey put you in ze Cooler?

(Sorry - I've been watching WAY too much Top Gear.)

East_Yorker, viguera and bthobe like this.
  5. SuperEly
    Original Member

SuperEly Silver Member

Status Points:
    a good friend of mine actually works at avis FRA (but terminal 1).
    as a matter of fact rental cars over here are inspected way more thoroughly as they are in the US (or anywhere else actually).
    last week avis rental in the states, the service rep guy didnt even bother walking around the car

6. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US is the only country where I don't bother looking at the car. Everywhere else in the world they charge you for dings so I examine the car whenever I rent outside of the US. Even if that means with a flashlight at night.

But it sounds like they inspect extra hard at FRA. I've never seen that in France or the Netherlands.

East_Yorker likes this.
  7. Its not just FRA, Stuttgart does the same thing. I had a plastic bumper pop off and although it snapped back on with NO damage, they still wanted to charge me. I refused to pay and becuase I was on military orders, I was issured and did'nt have to pay. It's sounds more like a scan then anything else.

East_Yorker likes this.