Return of the LH A380 to SFO

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Infinite1K, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool time lapse video from the return of the Lufthansa A380 to San Francisco.

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    How hard/easy is J or F award availability to find on this flight? Anyone have any insight?

3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder why they seem to retract all 388s in winter... On almost all routes it seems..

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH seems to move its A380's around a great deal. I wonder if there is still a lot of extra demand for the novelty of the A380 that cycling it through destinations helps capture enthusiast flying. Germany is certainly a land of transportation enthusiasts.

Or LH's revenue management and capacity planning fine-tunes capacity on routes by swapping between A380, 744, and various 340's and 330's on a frequent basis?

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is closer to the reason.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH does buck the conventional wisdom by operating a great variety of aircraft, rather than only standardizing on a few types. Don't they now operate all of the following widebodies?
    A330-200
    A330-300
    A340-300
    A340-600
    B744
    B748 (soon)
    A380
    The only thing missing are some B77W's. Did they order 787s?

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you consider OS (which they own ) in addition they also operate 777's and 767's.

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using what program? Star Alliance awards (using ANA tool) based on some spot checks seemed to show a few Economy seat availability and nothing in J and F. If you are using Miles & More, then they might have better availability.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the SFO route specifically, the A380 is used during the peak season and a B747-400 is used during the off season. LH reduces capacity similarly for the LAX-FRA routes as well.

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    No A330-200 in LH fleet, though Swiss still operates them until they go all A330-300.

11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Star Alliance awards would be what I'd be looking at.

12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd keep an eye out. If you use ExpertFlyer, setup an alert. If you have a flexible schedule, they might open up seats along the way.

Also, J is going to be easier than F on this route.

13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does LH tend to release award inventory at the last minute?

Sorry if these are newbie questions. I am not a Star person, just have buckets of US Airways miles...this would be a great way to burn some for me :)

14. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    As well as FRA-SIN in the winter..

Infinite1K likes this.
  15. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the flights are not really full, they have in the past opened up additional seats for awards.

16. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, historically, the routes from the West coast were harder to get award space on. But if you inch towards the east, availability gets better.

But since you want to fly the A380, you'll have to just look at LH gateway cities that have the A380 service, such as JFK. There is some JFK availability on the A380 for J award in July/August.

And LH is using the A380 to Houston starting in August and J is showing great availability from there.

17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked an F award seat on the LH A380 SFO-FRA, with a connection on a LH 747 to HKG in business. Rather odd way to get to Hong Kong, with about 22 hours in the air, but I have the time and can fly a second carrier's A380 (previously did Qantas A380 LAX-SYD in business). This will be my last LH long-haul trip as I've burned off most of my UA miles since 1MM benefits there were slashed in September (last year I did Berlin two times and Rome once with Lufthansa using UA miles, so have been in burning mode). Coming back in Cathay F HKG-SFO on a 747 (Qantas web site came in handy for checking availability for that).

I did pay UA $25 extra for close-in booking, the first time I've ever done that (lost 1K in March). Taxes were $36.

UA website offered some interesting routings including via MUC, ICN, LHR (second segment on Singapore in coach so that was a no-go) and PVG. The nonstops from SFO were there, too, but needed a little more adventure than just another nonstop.

18. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Safely arrived in FRA after a very enjoyable 9hr 50 min ride from SFO. Excellent attention given to the 5 passengers in the first class cabin throughout the flight. Do have about 40 photos but the wi-fi connection here in the First Class Terminal at FRA is deathly slow and the various sites I'm accessing are timing out. Also working on a trip report but it's not going to very good without some photos embedded.

Have a few hours until my 11 hour connecting flight (not going home quite yet) so may stand a chance of getting them up today.

ducster and desamo like this.
  19. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, when I first read your post, I thought you had booked the A380 with LH M&M, but then I read it more carefully, and I see that you did it through UA. I had no idea that one could book F on the A380 from outside M&M, but I looked on the UA website, and sure enough there's a seat on tomorrow's flight (not that I can take it!). Good info to file away- thanks!

desamo likes this.
  20. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if LH F is more readily available with short notice. My trip in F last year was booked 8 days out on a 747.

Tom in Hong Kong

21. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew the A380 in First Class on LH 454 on Tuesday 17th of April from Frankfurt to San Francisco and I first sat in seat 1A.
    After we took off I was aked to give my seat to another passenger because seat 1G was broken...so she could seat next to her husband.
    This was my first Lufthansa A380 flight and certainly the most underwhelming Lufthansa First Class flight I ever had and I have flown them in first class in B 747 and A 340 at least 10 times.
    The service was good but the bathrooms are too big and lack style. In the middle of the fligh paper towel were not available nor were the customary refreshment towels (Erfrishchungstuch).
    We got Pajamas instead of the customary "day"shirt.
    The air is supposed to be better in the A 380; certainly after 11 hours looking at myself in the mirror it did not look like it made any difference. I did not feel any better than usual eitheir...
    The lock in 1A wardrobe did not work.
    The A 380 is nothing worth writting home about as far as I am concerned.
    Also as a last note it does not look like the US Airways and Lufthansa system are working together very well . As the agent at the Frankfurt Lufthansa First Class Terminal was hand writting my US Aiways boarding pass it came to my attention that US Airways maybe leaving the Star Alliance. Regardless it does not say much about US "Worst" and to make matter worst in San Francisco I had to "shlap" my luggage to the US Airways counter for a recheck and a printed boarding pass: welcome back home.

22. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    as always, no online tools showed availability, yet a phone call gave an upgrade to F pretty much immediately on FRA-SFO ~10 days before the departure. On a short notice they are willing to fill those seats, apparently, just got to call them.