Return Early or 2nd Tentative Reservation

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have a two day reservation that ends at 12:30am on a Saturday. There's a chance that I need the car two extra days.

What's the best way to handle this?

1. Change the reservation to add two days now, then (if needed) return the car early
    2. Book a second reservation that starts 30 mins after I drop off the first car. Cancel it if no longer needed.
    3. Leave 2-day reservation as is, then call and have reservation extended if need arises.

Option 1 probably means that Hertz will charge me for four days if I use only two?

Option 2 has the downside that I need to trade cars, but my hotel is near the airport drop-off location anyway, so not that bad.

Is it predictable what rate I will get with option 3 for the two additional days?

2. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    First I assume you don't have the car now.

You're never charged for more days than you use the car, unless it's prepaid or you qualify for a weekly rate that is lower than the daily rate and are returning the car after 5-6 days.

Weekend rates generally require you to keep the car through the midnight between Saturday and Sunday and have the car back by 11.59pm Monday. So if possible, I would look into a new rental from 11.30pm Saturday to 11.30pm Monday, applying whatever discounts you can find. (Or use whatever pickup time is convenient for you, but before midnight.) This is likely cheaper than extending your rental for several reasons: first, you can apply new a PC discount, and second, the weekend rate is usually cheaper than the "extra day" rate on a longer rental.

You can, in fact, do both -- extend the rental period by calling Hertz (if you have the car) or modifying the dropoff time online AND book a separate rental. Then use whatever is most convenient/cheapest when the time comes. I've done overlapping rentals at the same location before without a problem. Usually this was because I wanted to separate an expensed rental from a personal one and didn't know when I'd get back to the facility.

Regarding option 3, it's anybody's guess what rate you will get. Sometimes I've gotten a rate that was much lower than the "late extra day" rate printed on the contract. (Here I'm distinguishing between the "extra day" charges on reservations that are not a round number of weeks, an what I'm calling the "late extra day" fee for keeping the car longer than your original dropoff time.)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, I have a reservation, but the rental is in the future.

My current reservation ends Saturday morning 0:30am but it's a weekend rate.

The additional PC discount is a good point. Might knock off $30 right there. I'll look into that.