Retroactive Gold/Platinum Challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by livefastdiefun, Sep 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if its possible to start a retroactive challenge?

I flew enough last month for the Platinum requirements (10k EQP) but never initiated a challenge. Do you think AA will retroactively grant me that request?

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.. but I suppose there is no harm in asking. There have reports of AA back dating the commencement of uncompleted challenges to the nearest previous start .. but thats it.

JonNYC likes this.
  3. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    As you say, no harm in asking, but I've only ever seen retroactive start-date apply to miles not yet posted. I've never seen what the OP is referring to applied absent some other reason for them to consider it (potential very high-revenue flyer, top-level on another carrier corp travel connection, etc.). But as a regular challenge, I'd say its completely unheard-of.

4. livefastdiefun

Status Points:

figured. Unfortunately the miles already posted. I've done a fair bit of flying on AA this year (20+ segments) but completely blanked on doing a Challenge. It wasnt until my miles posted on a recent LAX-DFW-ORD-HEL-MAN-ORD-DFW-LAX trip did I realize I could have initiated a challenge.

Looks like Ill do it next month on a similar trip if AA wont retroactively grant me the Challenge

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point I politely call bullshit. How can you fly that many miles without status and not think about it? 13,465 miles and it never crossed your mind? What's wrong with you, man? :D

NYCAdventurer likes this.
  6. livefastdiefun

Status Points:
    It just completely slipped my mind. Plus, I never knew the AA mileage requirements were so low. 10k for Gold in 30 days and 20k for platinum (if I remember correctly).

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

Challenges are based on POINTS, not MILES. So the fare class of your trip would determine the outcome. With deep-discount fares you'd have 6733 points, with Business or First class (purchased, not upgraded) fares you'd have 20,198 points. Regular coach and you'd have 13,465 points. Maybe you weren't that close after all?

8. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's 90 days-- not 30 days.