Retention offers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by andhoova, Feb 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do credit card companies always provide an offer to retain your business? Sometimes its seems like rather than transfer me to the retentions department the original customer service rep will just offer to cancel the card.

Is there a downside to attempting to get a good retention offer for each card? For example, if I have 2 cards issued by Chase both expiring in March, should I try to get a retention offer on both or will Chase limit me to 1 and then just not offer an incentive for the other?

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    They might say "no." ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize you are not always going to get a retention offer, just curious if Banks have guidelines for how many offers they will give to 1 person for separate cards, and do they always offer a retention bonus?

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's possible that they do, but as a practical matter, we have no way of knowing what those policies are or how they change over time. Thus, the best we can do is try and report our experiences.

I guess a better question would be, "Does anyone have firsthand experience getting retention offers on two different Chase cards in the same month?"

LETTERBOY and TUMD like this.
  5. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it varies, depending on how much they want to keep you as a customer.

LETTERBOY and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Past spent history is usually the guideline. I hear things like "I can see from the records that you have been a great customer", or "I can see from the records that you have been a loyal customer".. but even for cards I do not actively use, most of the time they will still try to retain but it could be with conditions.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a couple banks will make retention offers but most do not today.

Citi Bank has been offering retention offers for multiple years.
    Citi waived my $95 annual fee and gives 1000 point per month for 6 months if I spend over $1000/month.
    Chase quit.

Would be a nice thread to make a list of which banks ae doing retention offers and the amounts.

TUMD likes this.
  8. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ask because I currently have the Chase Marriott, Chase MileagePlus Explorer and Chase British Airways all coming up for renewal. I'd really like to keep the Marriott and MileagePlus cards. I use the Marriott card regularly for hotel stays and I usually hit 25K in spend on the United card for the bonus. Anyone receive any recent retention offers on these?

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    CHASE is CHEAP!!!!!

Doubt you get an waivers but call and try!

10. NYC Flyer

NYC Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I got a few thousand miles from united...no fee waivers.

11. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, ...
    My AAdvantage Platinum VISA (one of two) had its $95 annual fee post a few weeks ago. Then I saw the 100k Executive AA card bonus offer. Hmm, ...
    I applied and was approved for the Executive offer, then called with every intention of cancelling the AA Plat to get my $95 back.
    But, no, ... they just handed me $95 and the "extra 1000 miles if you spend $1000" deal for the next 16 months. (Verified that wasn't a mistake, ... nope, from now until July of 2015.)
    Uh, ... okay. Sweet. :)