Resort Fees should be prohibited for Honors Diamond and Gold members

Discussion in 'Hilton | Honors' started by msd001, May 10, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. msd001

msd001 New Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Honors overall is a good program. As its top tier Diamond member, it seems to me wrong on that benefits I am entitled too at all Hilton properties, such as free Wi-Fi, health club access, free water, etc. I am suddenly forced to pay a userous resort fee to obtain. This is plain greed and unexplainable. I have contacted Hilton through various channels over the years and no one has been able to give me an acceptable reason. Hilton honors members of gold and diamond status, more of us need to complain, to maintain our rights. Please call your Hilton diamond or gold desk number.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could switch your loyalty to the wonderful world of Hyatt.

Of course, then you'd have other problems to deal with.

Ultimately I think resort fees should be disallowed, period. It is not only a scammy way to avoid giving elites benefits they have earned, but also a way to make room rates look artificially low in price based searches.

Welcome to Insideflyer.

B1BomberVB, AMPfromBNA and radonc1951 like this.
  3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly.

If a hotel or resort property wants to charge an extra $40.00 per night, then either raise the room rate and clearly advertise it; or offer the resort fee as an option to customers. Do not advertise a lower room rate and then surprise the potential guest with a mandatory resort fee which offers little to nothing in added “benefits.”

Mandatory resort fees are a bane to guests of the lodging industry.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  4. RROO

RROO New Member

Status Points:
    There should not be any resort fees or car parking fees - PERIOD

B1BomberVB likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am okay with parking fees. Those get paid by those who consume the service and not force-billed to everyone staying a night.

I do wish some properties made it easier to discover those fees upfront on their website.

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to cap it off, fees are not entitled to reward points...!
    Resort fees are really distasteful. One cannot even opt out like a budget airline.. :mad:

B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just spent 5 nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village and the resort fee was $30 per day! That monstrosity is just pure greed and ought to be illegal in the US, like it is in other western democracies:
    • In most of Europe, including Great Britain and all member states of the European Union, it is illegal to charge, or advertise the requirement to pay, mandatory fees which are not included as part of the total room rate, such as resort fees.[43]
    • In Australia, under the Australian Consumer Law, it is illegal to charge, or even advertise it is a requirement to pay, mandatory fees (including resort fees), if they were not reflected in a total cost as a single figure at the time of booking.
    • The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the US government organization with authority to regulate the hotel industry. On the subject of resort fees, FTC attorney Mamie Kresses said: "The fees are not illegal as long as they're disclosed."[45]

B1BomberVB and radonc1951 like this.
  8. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What gets my goat is that I have now encountered "resort fees" that give you nothing in return. :mad:. When they started, it was free internet or free phone calls or something of minimal value.
    However, the last hotel I stayed at gave me access to the dining room :rolleyes:. It was nothing more than an add-on to the hotel charge. Pure baloney.

However, as the saying goes
    "Pigs get killed, hogs get slaughtered". The industry will continue to abuse the system until some point is reached when it blows up in their face.
    Hopefully sooner rather than later.

B1BomberVB and AMPfromBNA like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    B1BomberVB likes this.
  10. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're lucky they don't nail you with a "tap water fee" to refill your reusable water bottle. :rolleyes::mad:

B1BomberVB likes this.
  11. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 Everybody above! I also vote that resort fees should be outlawed. Worldwide. Full Stop.