Resort Fees - no Points?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Seacarl, Apr 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally don't like resort fees. Since they are mandatory, they should just be part of the room rate. The states certainly think so since they impose hotel taxes on them.

It's even more painful as a Platinum because when the resorts list what's included, most of it is things that are complimentary for a Platinum. Typically it is internet access, newspaper, and fitness center. At least Hyatt gives Diamonds a reduced resort fee in recognition of this. SPG doesn't seem to.

But on my recent 5-night award stay, where I paid the full resort fee, I received no SPG points for the $157 in resort fees. Is there a policy about that? It doesn't make sense to me since it's revenue to the hotel and taxable by the state, it seems like it ought to accrue SPG points.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't, and it is exempt from travel agent commissions, points, or anything else, except the royal screw that is inflected upon the guest. It should be part of the room rate if it is mandatory. Several years ago, various hotel chains tried to screw their guests by charging them to use electricity with mandatory "energy surcharges." That cost them a bunch to settle, so other dishonest revenue enhancement methods have replaced them.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    All programs have their little idiocycrasies you just ran into one of SPG's ( just wait till you find you get no points on the cash portion of cash and points stays :)) whether you think is fair or not .. well one does have alternatives dont we?

I do find it pretty silly however when people complain that they are being screwed when nobody holds a gun to head when making a booking that shows the charge is stated up front.