[Resoloved] Automatically grabbed my Facebook photo

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by SFOPeter, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I created a new account using Gary Leff's link, and registered with email instead of using Facebook login. But somehow the site grabbed my Facebook photo. Not sure if this is just for me to see or for all, but thought it was worth reporting as it might freak some folks out. Peter

2. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, scary! Were you logged into FB on same browser?

3. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't (and never will) have a facebook account, so that's why it seems not to have happened to me :)

Cheers.

4. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    You had to at one point authorize milepoint to access your facebook profile. It is not automatic.

5. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure my account did the same thing. Don't mind, but it was a bit weird...

6. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It grabbed mine as well, but since it didn't automatically make it my profile picture or anything, I didn't think it was a big deal. I assume that photo isn't your fb profile pic then, SFOPeter?

7. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I registered through FB, but then quickly changed my avatar. I don't like being that easy to track down.

I agree that at some point you must have authorized MilePoint to access FB.

8. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have provided a bit of background here. I ran a company since the beginning of the Facebook platform that built out the Facebook presence for many large media companies and brands. So am very familiar with how Facebook login works, and I did not use it, and was very surprised that my picture was filled in. Also interestingly enough, this is one of my Facebook profile pics but not my currently selecteed one.

Anyhow, it is not normal, and although I personally was not perturbed, I thought it was worth mentioning as a bug report for the MilePoint beta as it might irk some new members - some people get very finicky about their Facebook privacy.

SFOPeter

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many sites around the web that provide a simple avatar cookie that allows you to share your image across many sites. This forum simply takes advantage of that. I know this avatar that I am using comes from one of those sites (I can't remember which one, but not Facebook as I have yet to do that link yet). You can change it, but it does take some work to figure out which one your avatar is pulled from if you care, or just change it here.

SFOPeter likes this.
  10. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mowogo, that's it! I set up a gravatar.com way back when for github.com, a programmer site. This is the first site that has ever picked it up... I think it's supposed to pull in the gravatar name and show a gravatar profile when clicked on, etc. Thanks for figuring it out.

11. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. I had to deal with this issue a few months ago on another site, so I was not surprised to see it as more and more sites are using services like gravatar to provide images beside the post.

12. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just looked and under the profile dropdown on the topright if you select "Avatar" is specifically says it is pulling your gravatar, and you can upload a different image instead. Should have checked there to begin with instead of posting!

13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, that makes sense. It's a gravatar...

Still feel like that should be an opt-in, rather than just happening automatically? Especially if you just came to have a look around and check the site out...

14. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was Gravatar........don't even remember when I signed up for it!

15. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think many companies would love MP to share with them how to access your FB without your permission :)

16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I remember seeing the gravatar option when I first set up my avatar, but iirc that was the alternate, not the default, selection.