Residence Inns - An Overview

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Residence Inn is a Marriott family brand of "extended stay" properties, primarily in the US. Both within Marriott and more generally, they are considered to be mid-upper tier in this category, so they would be perceived as generally better than Town Place or competing brands such as XXXXX. They are considered as roughly equivalent to Homewood Suites (Hilton) or Staybridge (Priority Club).

Residence Inns are all-suite properties (with very few exceptions) and each suite has a "full" kitchen, usually a full-sized refrigerator-freezer, a kitchen sink, a dishwasher, a built-in microwave and either a two-burner cooktop or a small stove including oven and broiler. Most hotels have studio suites, one-bedroom suites, and (fewer) two-bedroom suites. The studio suites can be the same space as one-bedroom suites but with a wall and door missing, so that it's a large open-layout room with distinct living and sleeping areas. Each suite has a sleeper sofa in the living room in addition to one or two beds in each bedroom.

TO BE COMPLETED SOON

uggboy likes this.
  2. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Residence Inns get full housekeeping services daily?

uggboy likes this.
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    In all my experiences, yes. If you have a long-term rate negotiated directly with the property, that may very.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The main (& only in my opinion) negative is that you only get 5 points/Dollar instead of 10 points/Dollar.

5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the one in mystic and it was nice enough but considering it was a cat 5 after we booked with or expiring cert the day after or $180 for a night, it is not worth it. It really is mind blowing how this place was a car 5 but there are places much nicer that are only cat 4-5 or if you wanted to go really lux it is only a bit more at 6 or 7 for an extra 5-10k points. The value doesn't seem to be there. I know value is in the eye of the beholder.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I really like newer Residence Inns but the 50% cut in base points is painful.

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll also add that some older Residence Inns have loft suites on the upper floors that are two bed, two bath suites split over two levels. These often have cathedral ceilings, fireplaces, and an open design where the upstairs bedroom is open to the living room, kitchen, and dining area below. On the lower level, a combination den/second bedroom opens to the living room. I've stayed in a few of those suites and they're very large and feel more like a real apartment than a hotel suite.