[Researching] Suggestion re: Reviews and Content that link to other websites

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by TRAVELSIG, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One Suggestion:
    Threads that have a "teaser" paragraph and then link to other websites- can these be restricted to Newsstand or some other area? It is a bit strange to be on a hotel review, or in the Asia destination section, and then be linked to an outside website. I don't want to visit other websites, for example, without knowing what they are, and this also doesn't help to build content on Milepoint.

Solutions could be:
    1. As suggested above restrict only to Newsstand
    2. Ask posters to put the full content in if it is theirs

Not to offend anyone- there is some really great content and interesting things which are very much appreciated- but it does feel a little bit like advertising to me.

Freddie Listo and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Certainly worthy of a look. If you have a moment, could you send me via a conversation a few of these? I want to try and identify. Thank you -- feedback is always helpful.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy for the super-fast feedback :)
    I have sent you a couple of examples.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I'm on it.

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or 3. Just live with it. You can always look at the URL before clicking it and decide whether you want to visit the site or not. If someone has a flickr album or a photoblog and don't want to upload/link all the photos on MP, I don't see a problem with it.

I personally prefer not to put the full content here if it's a review with photos. Earlier on there were restrictions on 5 photos per post and it is such a hassle to upload all the photos here and there were size restrictions on the photos too. Resizing+uploading or linking them will take a lot of work too if there are lots of photos in the review.

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with JALPak. Also, many news organizations don't like it when you post their entire article.

I know several forums have received notices from publishers advising them of (or possible) copyright infringement. Publishers generally don't mind if you post a lead in paragraph or two along with a link to their original content.

7. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I first started posting full news stories I was told to only post 2 or 3 paragraphs and include the link to the full story.

lin821 and JALPak like this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe OP meant if you are posting news or third party article, you should do so in the newsstand forum but if it's your own content (or if you own the copyright), you need to post all of it in your post, which I both disagree with for different reasons.

9. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see, and agree. I originally posted in Newstand but the stories got lost quickly. Now I try to post relevant news in the appropriate forum.

doc and JALPak like this.
  10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I believe that's a better way to deliver relevant info to those who are interested. Posting in both the newsstand and the "appropriate" forums will do too if you want. But personally I only post the news in the relevant forums.

doc and KENNECTED like this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    appreciate the feedback. thanks.

12. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough issue.. Kinda' think I may have seen this before.. somewhere.. idk.. ;)

And I don't know 4 certain, but I'm pretty sure this must be my fault! :D

Honestly, I wish I had some solution to offer..
    Or, at the very least, something marginallhy intelligent to add...
    But alas, I honestly don't.. so.. I'll leave it..
    If I can help, please let me know, in any case..
    Wishing you all the very best..

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get annoyed when someone posts a link, perhaps in a new thread with an interesting title, but no information about what's in the link they've provided. I don't like to click on things when I don't know what they are and I'd appreciate a sentence or two summarizing the content being linked or even a brief explanation of the joke, especially when the link is a video clip of some sort.

KENNECTED and AmericanGirl like this.
  14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very smart and I agree.

15. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP's use of "teaser" made it sound like those situations where people want traffic, and are playing games to get it

16. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newsstand is not really containing what I think it should be containing. Why not a separate "Blogs" forum for links to all the blogs? Looking at the number of views down the list of threads in the Newsstand forum, it appears that hardly anyone is using it.

JALPak likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked at my homepage about five minutes ago and every single one of the newly created threads on the list (all threads started by the same user name who has been active on MP and apparently with no replies or likes yet) is just a link to some (different) media website article. It looks like each new thread is in a different forum so that these threads dominate the bigger list to the left also. True, they seem to be all related to travel and it appears that in each case the OP wrote the thread title, but I find it extremely off-putting. (Note that I don't feel comfortable clicking on random links on the internet as a matter of computer security.)

TRAVELSIG likes this.