[Required] A cheaper Bhutan travel package

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wesshere, Jan 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. wesshere

wesshere Active Member

Status Points:
    Could some expert suggest me a cheap travel package for 3 to 4 nts in Bhutan? The tour could include only the basics:

1. City-tour(s)
    2. Nature and monasteries photography
    3. 2 to 3 star hotel
    ... and most importantly
    4. Visa service.

Wasim

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    You realize that this is impossible? The high price for Bhutan is intentional.

See Tourist Tariff:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Bhutan
    The minimum tariff is (for a group of 3 persons or more):
    USD $250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
    USD $200 per person per night for the months of January, February, June, July, August, and December.

The rates are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan. Groups of two or less shall be subject to a surcharge, over and above the minimum daily rates applicable, as follows:
    Individual, US$ 40 per night
    2 persons, US$ 30 per person per night.

The daily tariff covers:
    A minimum of 3 star accommodation – Luxury hotels may incur an additional fee
    All meals – Breakfast, lunch, dinner
    A licensed Bhutanese Tour Guide for the extent of the stay
    All internal transport – excluding any internal flights
    Camping equipment and haulage for trekking tours
    All internal taxes and charges
    A royalty of $65 (which is included in the tariff price)

3. wesshere

wesshere Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I read that on Wikitravel already and that's why I asked this question.

I contacted a tourism company there, and he gave me unearthly rate of above $4000 for two people for six nights, when I told him that this rate was higher and to make it 3 nights, he came down to $1760 ($880 per person), which still is on higher side and it did not include internal flights or any trekking/kayaking tour too. This was their BASIC package with only city tour.

Could you pls suggest some tour company which offers these for Wikitravel'ish price?

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only reference point I have is Friendly Planet's 14 day (inc flights) packages (not on sale currently):
    http://web.archive.org/web/20120512092551/http://www.friendlyplanet.com/beautiful-bhutan.html
    14 days from $4719, including air from LAX and two nights in BKK. That's nine nights in Bhutan. So lets say factor in $800 for the LAX - BKK air and another $200 for the BKK days, you would then be at $413/night/person for the Bhutan segment. That's more expensive than the quote you have, but does include a good bit of actives in Bhutan.

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason Bhutan is expensive to all but Indians and two other neighboring countries, is that they do not want hippies. Way back in the late 60s-70s; Hippies infested neighboring Nepal and, it was considered a problem as they would not go. Hence, Bhutan when it opened up, devised this plan whereby only way a non-indian could go solo was if invited by the Government.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. wesshere

wesshere Active Member

Status Points:
    anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  8. dannyjacob

dannyjacob Member

Status Points:
    Try to contact Blue Poppy Bhutan. They can be of some useful help. My friend did travel with this company and usually praise them.

wesshere and iolaire like this.