Requesting Miles difference for route change due to IROP

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lightangel, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    During my last trip, one of the connection flights was delayed 2 hours due to mechanical issue. I was then rebooked on a different route. As a result, I get 700 less PQM.

Is it possible to get UA to credit me PQM based on my orginally book itinerary, since it was not an involuntary change of route.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally yes, Just write into Customer Care or your voice e-mail and they should change it.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The official rules say no but agents will, more often than not, do it.

4. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one time I tried doing this by phone at the MileagePlus Service Center, the agent I talked to was more than happy to do this, but unable to do it because it was too soon after the flight dates (she said a week or so should be OK).

The second agent I talked to when I called a week later was happy to do this, but did it wrong (she carefully deleted my credit for CLE-EWR-LHR and then carefully re-added credit for CLE-EWR-LHR while saying she had re-added credit for CLE-IAD-LHR). Unfortunately there's not a good way for you to verify that it has happened correctly since it takes about a day for changes to be visible online.

5. Braintreeboy

Braintreeboy Active Member

Status Points:
    Try it. One time my UA flight was cancelled and they put me on a Hawaiian flight instead. I asked for the UA miles even though I flew on Hawaiian and they gave them to me.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per policy they should.

When you are rerouted on a non-earning carrier the rules say you can get original routing credit (ORC).When you are routed on a flight which does earn credit naturally then you officially are cannot claim ORC. Reality is that you generally can get it if you call and ask nicely, but you are not entitled to it.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My proactive change to avoid EWR on 11/1 is costing me 750 PQMs and 1250 RDMs - not to mention creating a very inconvenient schedule. I'm going to "call and ask nicely" after the people with the current real problems get their rerouting resolved. What have I got to lose?