Requesting Extra Passport Pages w/ More then 4 Pages Left

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DestinationDavid, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just a quick question for anyone who has info:

I need to add passport pages. The form says I should only send it in if I have less then 2-4 visa pages remaining. Currently, I have more then that. I'll be going on a RTW trip in July though, and I did a count and I don't have enough pages for the trip. Clearly I need more.

Anyone have any advice/experience with requesting extra pages when you have more then the minimum?

2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I requested additional pages in January with 5 pages remaining because I had a trip coming up that would require a minimum of 8 pages (based on the guidelines of each country I was visiting, I ended up not needing the full 8 pages for that trip). I had no issues and my passport was returned in about 3 weeks (I was surprised it came back so quickly) with the additional pages added.

The form (http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/80120.pdf) does ask about your travel plans including trip duration and the countries you plan to visit. Perhaps this helps them detirmine if you "qualify" for additional pages.

RTW trip sounds fantastic! Good luck and have fun! Send that pp in soon though (just in case!)

3. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have pages in my PP with close to 8 stamps per page even thou theres room for 4. Seems once it gets too full they dont want to search for any empty area and simply stamp whatever page they open up to

Back in the summer when they announced the cost was going up I dropped off my PP for additional pages and I had more then 4 pages that were blank, and they didnt say boo

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that gives me some comfort. The last thing I wanted was to apply and be denied, thus wasting time and cutting things pretty close to my trip date.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a similar situation - just over 4 pages free - and will be getting extras in person in San Diego on Friday so that I can address the issue directly with the agent should it come up. Between that and not having to part with my passport more than a couple hours it is a worthwhile move for me to pay the extra $60 for expedited service. I just hope they honor my request for two sets of extra pages when they do it so I can most likely not have to pay again on this passport.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I added extra pages to my US passport, I was able to request expedited handling for an additional fee. This was using FedEx, not doing it in person. It was quite quick.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is still possible but my schedule this summer doesn't really leave me any windows where potentially being without my passport for 2 weeks is a good idea. And since I have nothing to do in SAN on Friday anyways I figured this was a good way to pass the time and take care of the inserts. Same $60 expedite fee but no FedEx charges.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good plan. I would bring copies of itineraries, hotel reservations, invitations, etc. to document your planned travel just in case.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I requested two sets as well. Crossing my fingers.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just an update to this thread....

I sent off my request for passport pages on Wednesday (5/4). I received my passport back yesterday (5/10) with the requested double page inserts. So that was a 4 business day turn around. I have to say, I'm was very impressed with the speed.

11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The passport office shows that current turn-around time on expedited service is 2-3 weeks. I leave for Africa in 23 days, and I just realized (doh!) that I probably need extra pages since I'm going to be entering South Africa twice.

Is the stated "expedited time" for new passports, or is that how long I should expect to wait for my passport back? I'm wondering whether that's just cutting it too close... I can't make an appt myself @ the SF passport office until I'm within 2 weeks of travel.

I've added pages before and I recall it being quick, but I've never needed my passport back for a specific trip when I've done it....not sure what to do!