Request for Your Support: Alzheimer's Walk - 2011 Capital Region

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by chrislacey, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fellow MilePoint Members,

This Saturday, September 24th, I will be walking in the 2011 Capital Region Walk to End Alzheimers. The Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimers is the largest event to raise awareness (and money) for Alzheimers care, support and outreach. For more information about Alzheimer's Disease...you can read the Wikipedia article, or read more on the Alzheimer's Association website.

I am walking as I currently have a family member dealing with Alzheimers...and I know too many other families that struggle with this disease on a daily basis. As Alzheimers is studied, researchers are finding more ways to both detect the disease and care for those who are suffering from it.

So, with Randy's permission, I am kindly asking MilePointers who can to contribute to my walk this Saturday. Every donation counts, and the money is given directly to the Alzheimer's Association via a secure online donation page.

My walk page is http://capitalregionalzwalk.kintera.org/chrislacey

In full disclosure, every person who walks, and gets a total donation of at least $100, gets a free t-shirt which I will happily donate to a great local charity here in Troy, NY. As far as I know...there are no other benefits to raising a lot of money other than a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that the money is going to a great cause.

I'd also like to take a minute to thank Randy, MilePoint, MyMiles&Points, Cholula, DestinationDavid, GenevaFlyer and Sir Ragnar...all of whom already donated towards my walk! Thanks in advance to everyone else who is able to support this great cause!

Thanks MilePointers!
    Chris

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck! I will be doing the NYC walk in October.

As a researcher in Alzheimer's disease (AD), I can attest that we really need public support to help battle this disease. Also, if anyone has questions regarding Alzheimer's, I would be more than happy to try to answer them (or find answers).

Also, if people would like, I can put up some of the facts and figures on AD.

Thank you for your support!

chrislacey likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is a great cause that touches so many lives. Even if you can only donate a small amount, it will go a long way. Please consider making a donation today!

FriendlySkies and chrislacey like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the Alzheimer's walks will be taking place across the country over the months of Sept and Oct, I thought it would be good to provide some facts and figures on Alzheimer's disease.

Each day I will provide information on the disease and the impact it has on families and society -

How many people have Alzheimer's disease?

In the US alone, it is estimated that 5.4 million people have the disease, or 1 in 8 adults over the age of 65.
    In the US, it is the 6th leading cause of death, and 5th amongst those over 65

Worldwide, the number of people with the disease is estimated to be 26 million.
    Some stats for other areas -
    UK - 465 000 cases of AD
    Europe (not incl UK) - 6.7 million
    Canada - 500 000 cases of dementia, with 2/3 or more being AD

Australia - 257 000 cases of dementia

(Facts and figures provided by Alzheimer' Association USA, and other national Alzheimer's groups).

5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would like to thank everyone here at MilePoint who contributed to my walk! Here's a picture of our team. We came in 5th place out of over 100 teams with a total donation of $ 2,585.00! Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

alzheimers walk group.jpg