Request for some assistance in booking US domestic tickets

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by IkeEsq, Mar 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

  1. IkeEsq

    IkeEsq Gold Member

    Messages:
    743
    Likes Received:
    2,160
    Status Points:
    1,170
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, if so, please relocate. :)

    Despite being a Dividend Miles member for about 20 years, I don't think I have ever redeemed any for flights and I am trying to make sure I am not completely messing things up, so any assistance would be appreciated.

    My brother-in-law and family (total of 2 adults and 3 children ages 5-13) are taking a trip to Disney in May as a gift from my in-laws and my wife and I are contributing flights and the pre- and post-flight hotels. The plan is to fly BWI-CLT-SRQ on 5/1 @06:55-11:10 and return MCO-PHL-BWI on 5/5 @19:35-23:44.

    My wife and I both have Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercards. I have 102,500 miles (s/b 105K in 2-3 days) and my wife has 52K. A search on usairways.com shows our flights only available for 20K + $18 O/W. I believe that this means I can get three from my account and one from my wife's with the 5000 mile discount for the Mastercard.

    1. I tried using a Companion certificate (buy $250+ flight get 1-2 $99 flights) but was told you can't use those on an open jaw, only a roundtrip. Is this true?

    2. Will I get the 5000 mile reduction for the Mastercard on an open-jaw?

    3. I have to call to make the reservation because it is open-jaw, do I need to pay any fees other than the $18 / ticket (the Mastercard is not clear on what fees are waived)?

    4. Is it likely that less expensive FF seats will become available closer to departure and is there any reason not to wait on booking the flights with miles in the hopes that cheaper seats will become available or is there a danger the the flight will sell out and no FF tickets will be available?

    TIA!

    Ike
     
    harvson3 likes this.
  2. harvson3

    harvson3 Silver Member

    Messages:
    679
    Likes Received:
    1,693
    Status Points:
    960

    From what I could gather from the T&C of the offer:
    The answer to #2 is yes, the answer to #3 is probably, and the answer to #4 is that my crystal ball is currently in the shop. Sorry I can't be of more help.
     
    IkeEsq likes this.
  3. IkeEsq

    IkeEsq Gold Member

    Messages:
    743
    Likes Received:
    2,160
    Status Points:
    1,170
    Thanks, that is very helpful!
     
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

    JetsettingEric Silver Member

    Messages:
    626
    Likes Received:
    705
    Status Points:
    695
    Ike - what status are you and what was your EQM last year? If you're close enough to buy-up to chairman's - it's a good option to be able to cancel any us airways booked trips.

    Have you checked United for availability as well? Not sure how close you live to IAD vs. BWI (i know they are far apart) - but that opens up a lot of other options as well. No reduction on united tickets (25k round trip in economy)

    Why not just call US and ask if they see availability for the open jaw and how much the fees are, you can hold the reservation if you want to think it through.
     

Share This Page