Report: American Eagle to end SJU Operation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Mar 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

A Puerto Rican newspaper says the regional affiliate of American Airlines is planning to suspend its operations in Puerto Rico next year as it tries to shave $75 million per year from labor costs.

El Vocero reported Sunday that American Eagle will close its Puerto Rico operations by March 2013. The paper is citing a Friday memo from the Association of Flight Attendants to American Eagle's roughly 150 employees on the U.S. island.

2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this is not a trend.... I count on AA serving smaller US cities like Corpus Christy, Baton Rouge, etc.....

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is terrible. I was thinking of going there next year. Now I will have to try to make it there before then!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    This will probaly effect the cruise lines that have ports there too! Going to make it more expensive for their customers to fly into San Juan

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Take note - the article indicates AE's presence will disappear. It does NOT say AA's mainline flights from the US will be ended. SJU will continue to be a AA destination. AE's intra-island network appears to be going away.

Tenmoc, jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  6. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Oops missed the eagle part.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Corpus Christi with an "I" not a "Y" :)

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This definitely saddens me. We've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, most of it on AA. The extra options via SJU made a big difference in fare and flight times.

That being said, AA can serve most, if not all, of these out of MIA. And, in BK, redundancy is usually pretty early on the chopping block.

While I perceive a lot of benefit to the customer from the combination of MIA and SJU to serve the Caribbean, they can fill the planes up more, probably charge more and still offer service to all these places. It makes good business sense for an AA looking to shrink.

Tenmoc, jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone seen a copy of what the memo actually says? I wonder if it is mentioning a possible path or something that is likely.

That said, AA has been pulling down at SJU for a long time now and B6 has been back-filling with pretty good success on the E90s for some of the thinner routes. B6 has been expanding the inter-island flights, too, and I'd expect they will accelerate that if this really does come to pass.

10. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a bummer. I've been wanting to go to Martinique and St Lucia. I wonder if this includes Executive Airlines as well. Makes for getting to places like Peter Island that much harder.

desamo likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe all AE routes out of SJU are on Executive Airlines. So indeed, they're going away unless they go solo or team up with another carrier.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done the SDQ-SJU flight a few times and the though of flying to MIA to then go to SJU makes no sense at all..if AA cuts the service, they better codeshare with B6 on those routes...

jbcarioca and desamo like this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't make sense to me to fly to UVF only via JFK, but that's B6's current route.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is really sad. I love cruises that depart from San Juan as it makes it far easier to get to places I haven't already been.

Tenmoc, Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Any new news on this? Just returned from PTP and found using 4500 BA miles each way for SJU-PTP to be a great value. I haven't been able to find any recent posts or articles on this, so hoping AA changed it's mind.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The SJU pull out for AE will continue, to be completed in March 2013. AA has stated that it will seek to continue serving the Caribbean by increasing service from MIA and by looking at partnering with other airlines in the area from MIA/SJU: LINK.

17. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Executive Air quits flying all together out of SJU, it's going to be quite tough for me to get in and out of DOM for school. :( I guess I will have to fly something like LIAT or one of the other small Caribbean airlines that service DOM from other neighboring islands which will make flying there even more expensive and a PITA.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been flying in and out of SJU several times over the past couple of months and have observed a real decline in the tourist industry which at the moment appears to rely on cruise ships docking for the day versus those who stay for several days to sun on the beaches and gamble in the dens of iniquity. This would suggest intra-island travel is down and apparently not profitable enough for AA/AE to maintain this service. As noted, the mainline service continues from MIA, DFW and JFK and all my MIA flights were full in both cabins (five flights on 777s, one on a 738) so I doubt there will be a paring back on these flights, though the fares have been ridiculously low of late and passengers all struck me as locals visiting the mainland or mainlanders visiting relatives. Not many middle American tourists on these flights. Sad really, but according to two of my cab drivers, the hard truth. (Not sure how JetBlue is doing on the other side of the airport, and it appears UA now has just token presence with a couple of mainland/mainline flights a day.)

19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    And redeploying aircraft to the mainland will keep these and other destinations serviced if the market dictates. It's just this region of the Caribbean doesn't make sense for AE given economic conditions and AA can better serve the other islands with dedicated flights ex-MIA (or as the notice suggests, with codeshare partners).

bthobe likes this.
  20. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully that means direct flights to DOM out of MIA and skipping SJU as that would save me quite a bit of time and allow me some more flexibility in flight bookings.

21. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    American flies 777s to San Juan? Since when? Where to/from?

22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is quite true. This started late last year from my limited point of view when the operations to SLU ended.

AA is adding non stops from JFK to many of the northern islands too. ANU for example.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They don't.

24. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I swore that Santo Domingo to San Juan flight I took in Feb was on a 777. Or maybe it was the presidentes and the whirl of the propellers that hypnotized me into thinking it was a real plane. :)

25. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK > Santo Domingo, yes. SJU no.