Repay a hero

Discussion in 'Zidisha | Fostering Peer2Peer Entrepreneurship' started by KyRoamer, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The short story - a Zidisha borrower was injured during the Westgate Mall shootings. Mr. Kanja sold assets needed in his business to cover Mr. Kiiru's $1,875 in medical bills. Let's repay that kindness by donating funds for repayment. If interested, email Julia@zidisha.org.

Some of the story is copied below. To follow it go to http://zidisha.org/forum/threads/favorite-member-posts.61/page-3 and read post 45 and 46.

PLEASE HELP.

Julia posted

Here is a story that deserves to be shared.

Sammy Kanja is a founding member of Zidisha’s community in Kenya. He used his earliest loans to purchase a donkey cart and donkeys for his goods transport business. The proceeds from this business enabled Mr. Kanja to return to secondary school, something that had not been possible in his youth due to financial constraints. Mr. Kanja has maintained a 94% repayment rate over the course of three years of participation in Zidisha’s online microlending community, using the profits from the loans to grow his donkey transport business and diversify into dairy farming. Last year Mr. Kanja’s wife gave birth to twins. Mr. Kanja redoubled his efforts to grow his business assets, looking forward to acquiring high-quality educations for his children with the increased income.

Mr. Kanja also serves as a Volunteer Mentor, assisting other Zidisha members in Kenya to interact with our online community. This month we lost contact with one of the members he had helped, Mr. Fracis Kiiru. After several unsuccessful attempts to call, Mr. Kanja went to visit Mr. Kiiru’s home and discovered that Mr. Kiiru had been injured during the Westgate Mall shootings in Nairobi and had been hospitalized.

Mr. Kanja went to the hospital to visit Mr. Kiiru, and discovered the latter in serious condition with no means to pay the hospital bill. ”I told him i was given only twenty minute to because it was not time to visit them,” Mr. Kanja wrote to us in an email. “He shouted with the lound and started crying saing do not let me sleep here ones again because i have no money to pay for the hospital bill,my wife went away when i reached to the hospital on sunday.My heart beat like a disco becouse i was not expecting to here that.”

Mr. Kanja and his wife decided to sell the two donkey carts and the dairy cow that had been the source of their family’s financial well-being, in order to pay for medical treatment of Mr. Kiiru and of a relative whom they also discovered among the injured.

“I used the money to tranfer hime to the private hospital for farther treatment,as i am writing to you,he is in good condition and i am expecting to take him to his sister on wenesday as per the doctor,” wrote Mr. Kanja.

Mr. Kanja could have gone home quietly, telling himself that there was nothing he could do to help. Instead, he traded his business assets, the source of his family’s livelihood and hope for a better financial future, to procure life-saving medical care for others.

Mr. Kanja may not look extraordinary and he will probably never be on the cover of a newspaper. For me, though, he is a hero.

Here is Mr. Kanja's original account:
    1. roberta.zenere comments on Sep 30, 2013

Dear lenders,

my name is Roberta Zenere and I am a Kenya Country Liaison Intern at Zidisha.

I will copy here an email that we have received today from Sammy Kanja, Mr Kiiru's Volunteer Mentor.

"First is to thank God for this golden chance.I am wtriting to inform you that i went to meet Mr.Kiiru in Nairobi as i stated in last week.I manange to travel on thirsday morning.When i reached to his business,i was shock to here that he was among the affected people in westgate mole.
      I took a bus to the west land where the sager was.later i so his name displayed on the black book stating that he was admitted to the hospital.Without wasting of time,i went to the mention hospital and meet him while he was under special treatment.I could not manange to meet him.On Friaday morning ,i was the first person to reach there,the doctor welcome me after i introduce my self as vollunteer mentor of zidisha and i wanted to meet on of our client who was in the westgate during the attack.
      I meet him while he was taking tear.infact, icould not be able to overcome the tears out of my self,but i remember one of the roporter who was doing his job to one of the local Radio while his brother was among the peple who were attacked.Later he explaine to me what happend during the incindence.he said to have been visiting one of his friend who was learning a business inside when the attacker came and shoot them all.
      After we held a long time negociations,i told him i was given only twenty minute to because it was not time to visit them,he shouted with the lound and started crying saing do not let me sleep here ones again because i have no money to pay for the hospital bill,my wife went away when i reached to the hospital on sunday.My heart beat like a disco becouse i was not expecting to here that.
      Meanwhile i went back to the doctor an asked about it.After we held talk ,i remember to have a cow and two donkey cart at home.I took my phone and call my wife for that matter.My wife was full of tears to here her uncle was among the victim,Later she sold them at a through price to save our uncle.
      I used the money to tranfer hime to the private hospital for farther treatment,as i am writing to you,he is in good condition and i am expecting to take him to his sister on wenesday as per the doctor.
      I would like you to pray for me and quick recorvery"

Mr Kiiru us in our thoughts during this hard time and the whole Zidisha team wishes him a prompt recovery.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Roberta
      Zidisha Team

roberta.zenere comments on Oct 02, 2013

Dear Lenders,

I will copy here an updates that we have received this morning regarding Mr Kiiru. I am using the words of Sammy Kanja, his Volunteer Mentor, who sent an email to Zidisha this morning.

"Hi Roberta,
      I am very happy to have chance to write to you.I will not be able to remove Mr.Kiiru from the hospital today because his health is not all that well as i was instructed by the doctor.He will be remaining to the hospital for the next 7 days from today so as to let the doctor investigate him well.I will be traveling back to Nakuru to meet my family and my business as wel."

Please, let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Roberta
      Zidisha Team
    2. [​IMG]
      Julia KurniaDirector, ZidishaStaff Member
      New
      An update on Mr. Kanja's situation:

This morning I spoke with Mr. Rukwaro, a former credit officer and neighbor of Mr. Kanja, and asked him to tell me what happened. Mr. Rukwaro independently confirmed this story, as he had visited Mr. Kanja's home upon our request today. Mr. Rukwaro added that the hospital bill charged to Mr. Kanja had been KSH 150,000 (about USD 1875) and that Mr. Kanja indeed sold both of his donkey carts and dairy cow to pay it. He said that Mr. Kanja has an old motorbike and he is earning some small bits of money transporting animal feed for other farmers using the motorbike. The income from this activity are nothing like what Mr. Kanja earned from the donkey transport business and dairy cow, and Mr. Kanja is still left with a debt to repay to Zidisha for the dairy cow that is now sold.

Anyone who would like to make a contribution to Mr. Kanja, please send an email to julia@zidisha.org.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.