Renting Boats

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sweet Willie, Sep 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've rented boats in a number of places in the U.S.

I'm having a tough time finding boat rentals on the Ohio River near Cincinnati.

I've called a few marinas and they say two things: 1) they don't know of anyone who rents boats on the Ohio River & 2) they surmise that the reason no one rents is due to the commercial barge traffic on the Ohio River.

Searching has yielded nothing online.

I guess I'm truly amazed that such a popular waterway doesn't have boat rentals.

Any ideas to locate something on Ohio River near Cincinnati would be appreciated.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ski Boat, House Boat, Fishing Boat?

Ski Boat, check out the dealers and see if they will rent one ala "Test Drive" for a couple of days.
    Fishing Boat, check the bait shops and see if anyone has a 'friend' who would rent.
    House Boat. No clue.

Remember WKRP in Cincinnati (The actual Station not the TV show) started as a Houseboat playing Rock Music. Because they could not a studio.

viguera and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    VRBO includes some houseboat and sailboat listings (generally; not necessarily here): http://www.vrbo.com/65033http://www.vrbo.com/331153

I feel your pain, but it sounds like you're already doing what I'd do (call marinas). Have you tried craigslist? You might cast your net a little wider: see if there's a West Marine or other outfitter around and ask if they know anyone? Call the local coast guard; they might have bailed enough renters out that they know who rents boats?

Sweet Willie and StevenGerrard like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, yes. didn't find anything so I made a post offering $ if someone would take us out for a 3 hour AM cruise. we'll see.

I will try the coast guard.