renting a full size van - for 7+luggage - in Lyon?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by wonderguy, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wonderguy
    Original Member

wonderguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's tough to get a really large vehicle. We need to drive around with 6 or 7 people and luggage. Avis is my usual choice, totally sold out.

Anywhere you can recommend for something like this?

Thanks!

--Richard

2. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried Hertz? Or Sixt? Most of the cars are at the airport, so don't bother trying in town.

3. wonderguy
    Original Member

wonderguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sixt had nothing. Surprising. Haven't tried Herz.

Avis has small vans but not larger ones. Might have to rent two cars if it comes to that.

4. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen largish SUV's at Avis at LYS. Not sure if they have 7 seats though. Whenever I rent there I always book the cheapest economy and they always upgrade me a huge car, but usually a sedan or station wagon.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are only two commonly rented vans in most of France, the Renault Grand Espace and the Mercedes Vito. the former is 7 place and the latter 9 place. Most of the major companies have them but tend to run out quickly. Europcar has them too:
    http://www.europcar.com/EBE/module/fleet/showFleetList.do?selectedCode=Family

I usually use Sixt because I have their FR program, but it is good to check Hertz also. If none of those work there are local options too.

6. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate to correct you but are you thinking of the Renault Grand Scenic? or the Citroen Espace? :)

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    OMG, it must be a "visit from the German doctor" It is obviously the Renault. The Citroen is smaller as you know, I know, the world knows. Oops. At least my link showed the correct name. BTW, have you ever seen any in France other than those two? In Italy and sometimes in Nice there are the big Fiat ones, Multipla IIRC, but I have not seen them elsewhere in france.

8. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Scenic and Grand Scenic are popular all over Europe. In the UK they even have a Scenic customer club. But regarding the 7 seats, the back 2 seats are really only appropriate for little people.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the OP had some little people. However, if the OP wants 7 real people plus luggage I don;t think there is anything that works other than the Vito, and that is everywhere, including the tour companies that allow self-drive.

10. wonderguy
    Original Member

wonderguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have full size peeps and full size bags. Gonna spend a few weeks around Provence and drive a bit around Spain. And I have some with me that pack a lot of shoes when they travel... :)

This is very helpful. I tried Sixt and Avis. I wonder how to find the local options...

11. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can find the local numbers on avis.com or sixt.com. If you have 6 or 7 full sized people, you will need a mini-bus or two cars. A mini-van probably won't cut it.