Rental Credits vs. FF Miles

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by LAXtraveler, Jun 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do people have on their profile as their preference and why?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I switch back and forth, depending on what specials are available and where I need the points most. I do like the Hertz 500 point weekend day, but sometimes the miles specials are much better, especially with Avis.

2soonold likes this.
  3. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. I am looking more specifically for the National EC program.

4. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I choose miles over rental credits. For my situation, I really haven't found value in free rental rewards.

5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. How long does it usually take for them to post? Are there restrictions based on discount codes used?

6. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With national and budget I go with miles. I don't rent cars that often on vaca. And if I do it will be cheaper than buying 5,000 miles to bump me to be able to get a free flight.

7. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have rental credits for free days. National gives 50 miles per day on rentals and charges a fee for them which comes to something like 2 cents a mile which is close to the same as what you can buy miles directly from the airlines for. Free days which you earn 1 after 7 rental credits (regular emerald club) to me are worth at least $70 since I use them on faily expensive one weekday rentals (and potentially worth quite a bit more if you rent one ways). Some corporate agreements specifically exclude earning miles since there is an actual cost component.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. heatherj

heatherj Member

Status Points:
    I always choose free days. My old company did not allow the miles option while using their corporate code. And, I think I just got used to it. I don't feel like I am getting much bang for the buck converted them into miles. I tend save the free days up and use them when on personal travel - vacation or holidays etc.

IDGflygirl and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !

The free days w/National (especially w/exec elite status) has come in handy too many times !!

The money saved has been amazing: (1) renting a huge SUV during high summer season to roadtrip
    with my numerous nephews & (2) renting a convertible during high season at warn weather destinations when on vaca w/Mrs Sweet Willie

IDGflygirl, desamo and heatherj like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've sometimes used rental credits to keep some mileage programs from expiring (like I'll fly on United but credit to BA), so I usually do the mileage. Probably I should re-think this.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now my preferences are set to rental credit, but that's mostly because I can't seem to get my profile to 'lock' onto mileage credits. I've changed it online several times, only to have it default back to rental credits, so now I just leave it. Don't really need the extra AA miles, and the free days have come in handy.

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like a lot of programs you have to game the system a bit. Obviously, if all your rentals are reimbursed then there's no point in getting rental credits. But if you rent on your own dime then rental credits are great since there are few restrictions on their use: You can use them for your most expensive rentals -- things like a single weekday or an SUV during a busy period. Then when the rates are low you can pay without using your free days.

13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's really a function of how many times a year you need to rent a car; I often am on a schedule where I don't need one or fly in to a city where having a car is a liability, not an asset and am better off not renting one.

There's also the issue of how often your *using* points to rent it. For example, I had one trip where a *one* day rental would have cost more than $300 vs about 8k delta points (which works out to more than 2 cents per point).

DTWBOB

14. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to jump off LAXtraveler's 27 June 2012 question and re-ask it:
    How long does it normally take National to post miles?

I've currently got my profile set to miles, as I'm accumulating for a US Air target (*shakes fist pessimistically in the general direction of the 2012 GS*). I returned at CMH on 03 August 2012 and at CVG on 30 August 2012; nothing has posted yet.

I realize that I essentially just completed the CVG rental, but it's been a month since the return at CMH, and that gets my attention.

However, perhaps I'm just spoiled from Hilton double-dip miles posting ~12.5 seconds after I check out?

Thanks.
    -WD

miles and smiles likes this.
  15. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rentals are usually more bang for my buck, especially as compared to the pittance that most rental programs give in miles. If they're doing a multi-thousand RDM per day deal (see Avis), I'll happily go the mileage route.