Rental Car Insurance + CC Points

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Muerl, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Here is a question.

Disregarding if this is a good deal or not, if you were to use UR points or TY points for a car rental, would the primary coverage associated with the credit card be extended to the rental?

Its somewhat academic because neither portal seems to have rentals x AKL which is where I would actually need them right now, but I was curious.

Anyone have experience with this?
    MX likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

I bought travel through the TY program on one occasion, with a small charge going to my credit card. I seriously doubt that charges coming from the TY program would provide any benefits at all. First, I was amazed to discover that the TY program absolutely refuses to provide a receipt for their credit card charges. It's possibly the only merchant on earth to do so. Yes, I insisted on a receipt in the strongest terms by phone and in writing to no avail. TY reps insisted that a CC monthly bank statement is a receipt.
    Second, the charge to your CC comes from a travel agent, not the service provider. So the CC is not an intermediary in your rental. It's almost certain that you'd get no protections (and quite a few headaches) by renting through TY.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013