Rental car drivers shouldn’t skip out on paying their parking tickets

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Question: What happens if you don’t pay parking tickets you get on a rental car?
    I recently rented a car from Alamo and drove it to San Francisco. I got two $62 tickets while I was there, one because I didn’t move it in the morning in time for a street sweeper and the other because I was two minutes late feeding quarters into a meter.

The amount seems so outrageous I’m thinking about just tossing the tickets. If I do, will I be sorry? — Robert, Tacoma

Answer: A couple of years ago, you probably would have been OK. Now, you shouldn’t count on it.

City governments are so strapped by the recession, many are pushing hard to collect outstanding fines from rental companies. Depending on the city and the company you rent from, you could find money for the fines deducted from your credit card, plus an “administrative fee” from the rental company.

Read More:
  2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Refusing to pay the tickets because they're "outrageous" or "unfair" seems ... outrageous and unfair, also, really. If you don't like the ticket amounts, challenge them with the issuing authority.

If cities start insisting that rental companies pay the tickets (and that is their right), refusing to pay parking tickets just makes car rentals more expensive for everybody (and most importantly, for people who don't free ride and pay their own tickets).

I've only ever gotten one parking ticket in a rental car - in St. John's, Newfoundland. I mailed in a cheque for the ticket as soon as I got home.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Is this so new? I recall receiving 2 tickets on a rental car 25 years ago. One was the rental company's fault -- the registration was expired (it was an out of state plate and they rented it to me because I was driving back into its home state) and one was an expired meter. I didn't have a problem paying the overdue meter but the expired registration obviously wasn't my problem.

Anyhow, not long after I landed home for a while I received a bill from the rental company for the expired meter ticket. No service charge. Never hear about the other. That was really good service, IMO. I don't even recall which company it was but after 25 years I don't think it matters!
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

I had a red light ticket once in a rental car, and completely disagreed with its enforcement (I was lost at 9pm and I turned right into a park's parking lot to figure out where I was, and the right hand turn signal had a separate signal than the traffic going forward, which was unique to that intersection. Traffic going straight had a green, but traffic turning into the Park was red, despite the park being closed to pedestrian traffic. Any officer who looked at that issue and recognized that it was an out-of-state person driving who said they got lost wouldn't have even considered giving that ticket, unless they were desperate for a quota or something. My brother in-law (a police officer in NJ) advised me not to pay it, because a) it's impossible to prove I was in the car and b) It's not a broken law, it's an ordinance, so it has been rather difficult and costly for cities to pursue payment other than having lawyers send out nasty letters.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

As outrageous as a $62 parking ticket is, ultimately you earned it and you are/should be responsible for it.

We have an electronic tolling system in North Carolina. If you don't have a transmitter on your car, the sensors recognize the license plate and mail the toll bill to the registered owner of the vehicle. If you have a transmitter you get a discount, if you don't the rate is higher. National automatically billed my credit card two weeks later for $3 in tolls incurred while I was driving a rental.