Rental car companies add fees

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/313619/28/First-airlines-now-rental-car-companies-add-fees

Some consumer experts say rental car companies have gotten as bad as the airlines at charging fees, but there are tips for avoiding these fees.

The obvious ones are easy such as don't go with GPS or satellite radio and you'll reduce your bill as much as $20 dollars day.

But one of the biggest fees easily avoided is the collision damage waiver, the insurance on the rental.

Using your credit card also helps if you want to dispute any charges after the rental.

But the newest fee some companies are charging has to do with gassing-up before returning.

You have to have a receipt from a station within 10 miles of the rental office or else you get charged with a fee.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/313619/28/First-airlines-now-rental-car-companies-add-fees

2soonold likes this.
  2. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post. It's all getting to be too much.:rolleyes:
    My absolute favorite is to fill up at Costco, but that's 14 miles away, so ... fill up at Costco, and then top off within 10 miles. I carry both receipts with me. Just make sure that needle really is on full.
    The article also mentions that there can be a fee for returning the car early. Many people think that refers to you returning a car in a situation where the basic rate changes, like the computer sees that now as two single days ... but not eligible for the weekend rate. But just as you can get a fee for returning the car just a few minutes too late; sometimes you can get a fee for returning the car a little too early.:confused: So, if I have to pickup my weekend rental on Friday night @ 10pm:mad:; I know that I am going to want to drop that car off Monday night at 7 pm, so I make sure my contact has that time and not 10pm, so the computer doesn't see me as returning the car 3 hours early ... and feeing me.
    Remember that some rental car locations are actually franchisees of the name brand, and they can get even stealthier and squirrelier. Yep, I've encountered a fee for not driving the rental car enough miles in a day's time!

sobore and iolaire like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A fee in Vancouver downtown with Dollar. You now have pay to have the car cleaned when you return it. This fee is added on when you go to pay for the car, I believe it is CAD $3.95 and it does not make any difference if the car is perfectly clean inside and out when you return it...you pay it.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is total BS on their part. If they were to charge me that fee, I think I would fill the inside of the car with mud just to get value for the fee.

sfo1 likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with that is the cleaning fee imposed is probably for cars that come back with the general ware and tear, and if you brought the car back with excess dirtiness they would probably charge you more than the $3.95, I have see contracts where it does state that extreme dirtiness inside/out will incur an addtional cleaning fee. Between car companies, hotels, and airlines with all their hidden fees, you just can't win any longer, however if the fee was not quoted on the contract that you signed at the beginning of the rental, one might be able to dispute it on the credit card.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. ThomasChia

ThomasChia New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for this info on car rental companies. I still think that they are mode bad than good, though