Renewing your United Club membership with miles being suspended?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Feb 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got another informative email from Mileage Plus letting me know that I should use my miles to renew my membership (which doesn't expire until another 6 months :rolleyes:). But here is the kicker:

Anyone know what is up with that? How long is the "temporary" suspension and why is it even being suspended?

NYCUA1K and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess it's somehow related to the system switch-over in March. Not clear to me why it would be an extended period that's worth mentioning unless they want to scare people into using some miles now.

Infinite1K and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got the same email and wondered exactly the same thing. This is so bizarre that it may signal a major policy change, especially since it seems that the "suspension" may coincide with the promised March 2012 launch of the new program...

A plausible explanation, as I quickly went ahead and renewed my UC membership...:D
    [​IMG]

Infinite1K likes this.
  4. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, worth renewing with miles now just in case. You know things never get better with "enhancements".

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Terrible use of miles in any case.

Golfingboy and goalie like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than a "temporary suspension", I believe that UA will discontinue use of award miles to purchase United Club membership. When I received the notice above by email, I had forgotten that I was already a UC member until 12/2012, so I went ahead a "renewed" before the "suspension went into effect. Then when I checked my pre-existing UC card later, I was puzzled to find out that it expired in 12/2012. Fearing that I had wasted miles, I planned to call UA to tell them that I'd made an error in purchasing the membership because I was already a member until 12/2012, but then I forgot all about it. However, moments ago, I just received another UC membership card that expires in... 2013! This means that UA sold me a second UC membership that goes into effect NEXT year (01/2013-12/2013), suggesting that the "suspension" might be discontinuation, otherwise I do not understand why they would sell UC memberships a year in advance...

sobore likes this.
  7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    This isn't new. You've always had the ability to renew in advance, and indeed, the process just extends your membership by one year. I've done that occasionally to take care of promos throughout the year (although they've been rare lately.)

chrislacey and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of that, as it is unclear to me why one would purchase a membership so far in advance when the club in question could go belly without notice....;)

Because the new card just says "Valid thru Dec 30,201", I will just use it and shelve the one that expires in 2012, since I have just effectively purchased a 2-yr membership...

9. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I extended mine before my drop in status this year to get the discounted 1K rate :D

10. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a bump to this thread, anyone know if UA will bring back the renew with miles option?

Just got a renewal reminder (my membership expires end of July), but will probably hold off renewing until the last minute cause I'd like to use miles if at all possible...

11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would put a good likely hood it comes back, the march 2012 suspension coincides with SHARES merger, in which UA has stated they had to cut some product lines due to the merger not accepting them. But intend to put them back on the market.

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have gotten a "sense" thats all- from a few conversations/communications with UA that this probbaly will come back. I had renewed with miles in early Feb upon expiration. Also affected I belive was the Miles & Money options for hotles,cars, etc at least for now??!!

13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I gave up on waiting and just renewed my membership through next July 2013 for 375.

I think if mileage option isn't available next year, this may very well be my last year of membership.

14. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    It would seem to be a smart business move to continue with using miles as an option,along with money..
    Anyone had any back & forth with United on this in last few months?

15. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, it is best to pay the fee rather than use miles as payment. The best use of miles is for an international C or F ticket redemption.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That really depends...I'd rather pay the fee with miles because it barely makes a dent in my RDM stock, or I know that as a top elite I can replenish the miles rather quickly. Cash, well, it's every day currency that I'd rather use for something like purchasing a ticket for a needed MR.

Literally, YMMV...

mht_flyer, stephenbgarvan and Gtitan like this.
  17. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is indeed the credited response. Spot on. +1.:)

NYCUA1K and mht_flyer like this.
  18. nschuster

nschuster New Member

Status Points:
    for anyone interested, i sent an email to united customer service requesting the option to renew my club membership with miles. i was told that function is not available on the website at this time, but they agreed to renew using miles with just an email request from me.

i replied to confirm the request, and received an email a few minutes later that the transaction was completed.

47,500 miles for a one year renewal (i'm a 1K member).

19. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    A
    Aha- in hope & belief that they will continue to honor that for elite fliers(at varying rates accoprding to status), thanks for the notice. I had renewed just before March 3 so its not yet an issue but I knew from frequent Q1 conversations that it would be ,unless they reinstated it as an option. They had sounded like something may come up but no promises.