Renewed "Vested Platinum" Cards

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Dec 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, the new AAdvantage President, Suzanne, sure is getting the lifetime "Platinum" 2014 cards out eAArly. Mine came today. A year ago it was right up against the end-of-February limit. I guess Suzanne was able to get some good help from the new AA I.T. leader :)

Interesting to me was the nice little note that comes with the card makes it clear that for "life" means the life of AAdvantage, not of me. Wonder which of us will live longer, lol.

2. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has said exactly that for a very long time.

wrxmom likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you referring to the 2 million mile lifetime platinum or something else? I have the 2million mile status, but I usually am executive platinum so I don't get any letters talking about how long the status will last.

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jon and Marc the letter I am referring to (which by the way was quite polite and certainly not offensive or threatening to members) is not one that has been used for a very long time. Now that the multi million-miler program is formally written into AAdvantage rules rather than being an unwritten benefit (this was part of the change and tightening on Dec. 1, 2011), the letter that goes out with the "vested" cards has changed and is more specific to those cards. I can't remember the letter a year ago exactly, but I will tell you before that the letter I got with my card seemed to be the very letter that the "regular" "Platinums") (or "Golds," for 1MM) were getting with their cards, thanking you, wishing you a great year ahead, blah blah blah. Thus Marc, if you are an "EXP" you wouldn't have received the same letter as I got yesterday.

Of course for as long as any of us can remember AA has talked about it having the right to change or drop the program at its own option (something about six-months notice, if I recall). Therefore anybody who had read those rules knew what "life" meant, so I wasn't at all surprised at yesterday's letter I got. I do know, however, that particular note -- phrased as it was to "life"rs and enclosed with my card -- is not one I have been getting in that form for a very long time.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has said the exact same for a very long time-- absolutely, positively, unequivocally nothing new in the "lifetime of the program" vs. your lifetime distinction, concept or verbiage. Trust me.

Skye1 likes this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what would happen if AA and US merge and AAdvantage is replaced with the US program? Technically, that would terminate the "life" of AAdvantage program. While miles most certainly would be transferred could the same be said about statuses and perks?

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Mr. Y. Berra once said, it ain't over til it's over. Or, in this case until if and when there is a merger and they figure it out themselves.

But if I were betting, I would bet the name 'American Airlines' survives, and also wager just a tad less heavily that 'AAdvantage' does too, not ending the program. As for making changes in Lifetime Platinum, for example, they would be more likely to continue that distinction but also create another tier above, as in 'Platinum Extra' between PLT and EXP. That would allow dilution of benefits but continue status in name only.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no advantage to ending the program because although there will be more elites (still a small segment of flyers), there will be more flights and seats, too. They can't afford to lose flyers on either side.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint