Renew AmEx or transfer points then cancel?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rmbmax1, Dec 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rmbmax1

rmbmax1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for both a biz and personal gold card and the annual fee was waived for the first year. My inclination is to cancel the card in lieu of paying the annual fee. Where would you transfer the points to first??

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you based? What types of travel do you want to redeem for?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you tell us which Amex??? and what other programs you would want to transfer into?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  4. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "Business Gold" and "Personal Gold" are fairly clear (as the Air Miles cards earn, well ...) but the remaining questions related to purpose are pretty valid ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So since it was so "fairly clear" to you why didn't you answer the OPs question?:rolleyes:

6. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1
    There is no information about where you are located, so suggestions regarding your cards if you are in the US, the UK or Canada may not be the same. Which frequent flyer program do you belong to or would like to use to get flights? Where would you like to go and when? How many MR do you have with those two cards? You need to give people a bit more information and be a tad more specific about what you would like to do. For instance, did you apply for those 2 cards about the same time? If you didn't, then you could simply transfer the MR from one card to the other.

7. rmbmax1

rmbmax1 Active Member

Status Points:
    New Orleans have 2014 booked for -2- weeks Italy and -10- days Hawaii. I have SWA companion pass planned for 2014-2015 so domestic is pretty well taken care of. I have 150K AA miles and 35K US Air.........looking for the best place to "hold" the Amex points. Someone suggested ANA that would allow more flexibility for moving to other carriers to Europe???

8. rmbmax1

rmbmax1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I did not realize that I could transfer one to another because they appear to be blended on my statement. This could solve my short term problem. Will research the dates. THANKS

9. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you mean by that that the MR accumulated through either card goes into the same MR account for both cards (2 cards, but only 1 MR account), then you probably don't even have to do a thing. Upon cancelling one card, the MR account would still be alive because of the other card. Of course, confirm this with the Amex representative when you call to cancel your card, but that's how it should be.