Renew Admirals Club or use a credit card for AA lounge access?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Seat6A, Dec 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you use an airline club membership like the Admirals or a credit card for airport lounge access?

Poll closed Dec 17, 2014.
  1. Airline specific membership

18.2%
  2. Credit Card from my airline so I receive airline club access

27.3%
  3. Credit Card from a bank that gives me access to a few airline clubs

18.2%
  4. Credit Card from a bank that gives me access to a truckload of airline clubs

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    It’s time to renew the Admirals Club card and I wonder if a credit card that gives me access to all/most airline lounges might not be a better value for a small business. It would have been nice to have Alaska and Delta access this year instead of just Admirals club. I don’t see much specific info about this on the MP forums or I wouldn’t have posted.

I will use the Admirals Club 95% of the time, but when I fly to SEA, ATL and others it would be nice to have pre-paid access as well.

Thoughts?

Espan and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no more CCs which provide great access across lounges in multiple alliances. Until next March AmEx Platinum would've been your best choice but they're losing the AA lounges next year so that makes it pretty useless for your needs.

I'd probably just buy a glass of wine at Vino Volo in SEA and skip the lounges there.

Seat6A, MX, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AC in Seattle has been closed for some time now.
    If you are a Admirals club member and have a ticketed AA boarding pass you can use the Alaska Airines club.

MX and Espan like this.
  4. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:

Love Vino Volo, been to the ones at JFK and at SFO. Totally better than the lounges!

Espan likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    One perk is if you're an Admirals Club member and happen to want to visit an AC and are flying another airline, you still have access to an Admirals Club even if you're not on an AA flight.

Say for example you're flying through ORD and happen to be on UA instead of AA--- as long as you're smart enough to say inside security, one can visit an Admrials Club [if your schedule allows it] even if you're flying UA.

However, if you have a credit card product with Admirals Club access, you're limited to Admrials Club access only if you're flying AA.

Of course this wouldn't apply in SEA where one has to utilize an AS Board Room and be flying on AA...

Espan likes this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    So for clarification, the AC membership that comes w/ the Citi World Elite MC is not a full membership, but requires you be flying on AA tix for same day entry?

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes if your use of the AC is limited to a glass of wine and some nibbles. Try getting a BP printed, help in irregular ops, copying some documents, catching a brief nap or even getting a shower then "totally better" quickly becomes "totally useless":)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's my understanding that the Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite MC gives you full membership to the Admirals Club, as if you purchased a membership separately. AC access through the soon-to-be-discontinued Amex card requires a same-day boarding pass on AA.

Espan, MX and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, that only applies if you're on AA metal. There's a post about this somewhere here.

10. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to know if anyone has this answer.

Espan likes this.
  11. kash

kash New Member

Status Points:
    I recently switched to the Citi World Elite MC (If you already have an Admiral's Club membership, you get a pro-rated refund) and they never ask about my ticket when checking in.

As for the Alaska Board Room in SEA - they will sometimes let you in, even if you are flying an Alaska operated flight instead of an AA operated flight, but only if you ask nicely and they are in the mood to bend the rules. Honestly, the Alaska lounge there is barely worth the entry. Vino Volo is a better option IMHO