Renaissance Seoul Hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by somempire, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to stay in Seoul in May for 4 nights. Anyone has any feedback on Renaissance Seoul Hotel?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel can be had for a cheap rate via Priceline, that is what I used, a couple years ago I paid $72 a night.

The Renaissance is between the Yeoksam and Seolleung subway stops on line 2 which is the green line. the stop is roughly a quarter mile or so. if you walk out the lobby and go to the main street, the yeoksam stop is on your right after you crest the top of the hill. I preferred the Yeoksam stop as there was a Citibank branch right there.

If traveling for business, the location of your hotel should come first, not what chain it is affiliated with. I would stay close to wherever you are doing business as traffic sucks in Seoul. Location far outweighs chain affilitation.

For the Leisure traveler, (I'm stating the following after staying in the Renaissance, IC Coex and becoming quite familiar with the Westin Chosun area) hands down the Myeongdong area around the Westin Chosun easily trumps the Renaissance and IC's.

The area around the Rennaissance is very commercial, no retail (unless you consider the myriad of massage parlors a block behind the hotel retail, BTW if you do walk out the back of the Renaissance you will get approached by men asking if you want "massagi" or "Koeran girl"). There is a convenience store for cheap water & other misc items.

The area around the IC's (while having malls) is very sterile compared with other parts of the city, you will pay for that sterile mall like environment, Highly recommend staying elsewhere in Seoul if for leisure. I was happy with the price I paid but that said, I'll still try to stay elsewhere next time in Seoul.

somempire likes this.
  3. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great feedback, I am staying for leisure with my wife. We wanted to use our Marriott points. Have you stayed at the JW in Seoul?

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no sorry I haven't. I know this may be milepoint blasphemy but even though one has points or wants stay credit (etc etc) in a certain chain, sometimes it is better to stay elsewhere if it enhances the travel experience.

Had I burned my Marriott points for the Rennaissance, I would have been let down in terms of the hotel's location & lack of retail/restaurants nearby.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.