Renaissance Seoul as a platinum?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Singapore Flyer, Oct 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Background - wife is on a platinum challenge because this is the first of a few business trips coming up with Marriott as the corporate choice.

My wife checked into the Renaissance in Seoul about two hours ago for a business trip with a paid corporate rate that included wifi(doesn't work) and breakfast. She asked about an upgrade and was told they were full, no upgrade available. They asked for her MR number and checked her info, didn't say anything and went to her room. Afterwards they sent a letter apologizing that they forgot to welcome her as a platinum and giving her a list to choose from for her welcome gift. I also think they realized their flub avoid the compensation as stated in the T&C. Just my opinion.

Also had a list with other benefits she was eligible for - it was wifi, a breakfast voucher for one day (she is staying 3 nights), 2 hour lounge access for one day and a free pressing.

Am I misunderstanding, but isn't the second list of benefits already included as a gold and even then watered down at this hotel? is the welcome gift really the difference for platinum?

I hope it isn't coming off as a DYKWIA. Have enjoyed stays as a Hilton gold, SPG gold and CC gold and they were probably better than what she is describing as a platinum. I think this is an isolated situation but I am surprised since mid level status are treated well in Asia.

schen75, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When she travels as a Platinum at the moment, I can not understand the list she gave her above, all these benefits are included as Platinum and it should be automatic lounge access for the whole duration of her stay with full access and benefits provided by the hotel incl. breakfast which she can take in the lounge or restaurant, this depends what's the conditions at the hotel are, but lounge access should be granted in an automatic fashion to a platinum member. Platinum doesn't give a member much more than a Gold with Marriott, this makes the above mentioned choices even more confusing and frustrating IMHO.

Kalboz and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I hope her experience at the Langham with the "newly found" status will be a better experience than this one. :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Rewards Platinum elite status is Platinum regardless of how she obtained the status or if she currently on a platinum challenge. IMO, you (your wife) got jipped!

Platinums get the best room available including standard suites in APAC for stays of 3 nights or less, guaranteed lounge access including free breakfast, free internet access, late checkout, guaranteed welcome amenity (I always took the 500 points), etc. See more details here: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi

Also the suite upgrade policy for APAC: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-promotions/rewards-suite-upgrade.mi

The best course to take is to immediately (during her stay at the property and not afterward) ask for the FD manager to outline the treatment deficiency and request proper recognition.

Good luck & keep us posted!

sobore, Singapore Flyer and uggboy like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't priced it recently but this property used to be had for ~$70-80 on priceline

6. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Her corporate rate is over 200USd and when I checked on line last night it was pricing at over 400k Won.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz. I thought it was odd.
    I will have her contact the fD Manager. Currently the wifi is limited. It stops the minute she leaves her room and charges .10 a minute for Skype. How they will figure that out I don't know. They seem to try and skimp as much as possible at this place.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep us posted of the outcome! :)

uggboy likes this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    So, I took your advice and did it for my wife. I sent an email on the MR site explain my(her) disappointment. About 3 hours later the FD manager called, left a message and a letter asking to speak to her.

Finally connected, offered a bottle of wine(she doesn't drink) an upgrade( she is leaving in 5 hours) but declined, car service to the airport (company paid for it) so no use. He kept on asking what they could do so she asked for a car to a shopping center, they gave her a free upgrade the next time she goes to that hotel, a platter of fruit and cheese and additional welcome gift.

I told her to ask for points nurse is tired and didn't want to not did she think they could. I will take care of it on comments again.

schen75, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although too bad for your wife's disappointing stay ... it is good now that their "team" will be trained on how to properly recognize/appreciate their own Platinums! Some properties just need that kind of wake up jolt ...

11. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    They sent a follow up letter apologizing again and offered an additional 13k points. I still ripped them in the follow up survey as they screwed up even the check out/shuttle to the airport. More drama.

On a happier note. I booked my wife at the JW in HK for one night, on points, before her flight back. Amazing hotel, a bit dated decor in the rooms, but service, lounge an views are amazing. Will have her give me some details about the langham in MK district. Not great. Disappointed at the experience compared to the level of the hotel.

schen75 and Kalboz like this.
  12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both the Ren in Seoul and the JW in HK. Agree both are nice hotels. I've never had the problems described by the OP at the Ren in the 2 or 3x I've stayed there. Sounds like the property tried to make things right which is the thing to do. The person checking in the OP's wife probably get a stern lecture and may be moved off of front desk duty for a while.

It was always nice watching the sunrise over the mountains from the Ren lounge in Seoul. Hopefully your wife got to enjoy that as well, OP.

-Rob

Kalboz likes this.