Remote stand in FRA to a UA 747

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gobluetwo, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew FRA-ORD yesterday and had an unusual (for me, who has had 4 trips in my life in paid C) experience. Arrived at the gate for my flight, went through the whole passport check rigamarole, then entered the jetway. Imagine my surprise when we went down a couple of flights of stairs out out to the bus stop. Nice long ride to a 747 parked at a remote stand. Is this a pretty common occurrence at FRA? I've done the remote stands for intra-Europe flights, but never for a long-haul on a jumbo. We spent a good 10 minutes waiting in that hallway for a bus, and the line stretched around the corner and up a couple of flights of stairs. I'm pretty sure we also departed late because of it, although that wasn't a big deal to me.

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had it a few times on LH 747s. The bottom line is that sometime they don't have enough gates. Would you rather be stuck on a plane because the gates are all full or park at a remote stand and get off now and not delay a later flight.

EDIT: The most inconvenient part was that it was in the middle of winter when it happened once and I was going from a warmer climate to another warmer climate and did not think twice about the freezing temps in FRA until I had to walk down the stairs. However that was a small price to pay for a very nice trip nonetheless.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've also had it happen on a LH 747 (actually at the first SMD). Only been through FRA one other time (on UA) and did get a gate. There are quite a few remote stands at FRA.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely quite a number, and some which are VERY remote. Coming off my ZRH-FRA flight yesterday morning, we drove a solid 6-7 minutes to get to the gate. Was very jealous of those 2 guys getting picked up in a Mercedes and a Porsche! ;)

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is so much construction in FRA that remote gates can happen for any plane except the LH380s

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been standard operating procedure for at least 15 years. And indeed I have seen/experienced it with 747s, small airbus, and CRJs, so the entire range of aircraft sizes.

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was already standard practice in the 1980's. There are probably more remote stands than there are gates. From what I can tell any size aircraft other than the A380 can be assigned to a remote stand. Which flights get a remote stand vs. a gate seems to change from day to day. I think they factor how long the plane will be on the ground into the equation - an aircraft that will be on the ground for 5 hours is more apt to be assigned a remote stand than one than has a 90 minute turn, but they also factor in widebody vs. narrowbody gates, construction, etc. USA-bound aircraft can only leave from certain gates because of additional security requirements, there is Schenghen vs. non-Schenghen etc. In general, on arrival, having a remote stand doesn's slow you down much because you usually exit closer to the main terminal. On departure it does seem to delay departure 10-15 minutes. It doesn't seem to me that they favor or penalize LH vs. other carriers - all carriers seem to get a mix of gates and hard stands. By the way, the airport is not operated by LH - Fraport is an independent company.

8. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have pointed out, this is pretty much standard procedure at FRA given how tight they are on gates. In my experience it's more likely to use a bus to deplane than to board, though, but both can happen. It definitely slows down departure and cheapens the whole elite/premium boarding experience, but it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Seacarl likes this.
  9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The majority of my flights at FRA have been like that. At SMD1, our guide
    Dr. Pfragner promised that we would see ameliorization of the remote stand
    situation at FRA. We all sort of rolled our eyes and went "whatever." Sad to
    say that "whatever" has carried the day for a couple years.

10. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    All too common at many European airports, unfortunately.

Worst part about it is how remote stands seem to proliferate. Once an airport does it once, they seem to multiply into many of them.

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had it there and at CDG a number of times.

12. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least at FRA the process is done relatively quickly compared to CDG.

13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but when my knees are tasking me, having to use stairways the speed of things matters less.