Reminder: What you see is not what you get

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilCo, Jul 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    When booking codeshares on continental.com, even if they have a Continental flight number, Continental does not know how to calculate the number of miles or EQMs that you will earn. You are expected to read the asteriks that indicate you "may earn up to ... miles" (which has no mention of EQMs and know that you should reference the mileage earning section of the website to determine how many EQMs and miles you may earn.

Even though I have been burned by this before, I forgot to check the website carefully when booking my most recent trip. The FRA-IAH leg I was going to take on LH in T class and save about $80 over CO. It got in earlier to IAH and I usually prefer the attitudes of the LH flight attendants over the CO flight attendants, especially travelling with small children. A few days later, I realized my mistake, but of course I was past the 24 hour period to cancel my ticket.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with reservations yesterday while they tried to figure out their own material to see if I would be earning EQMs or not. (I was already fairly certain I would not). Then they sent me to the OnePass Service Center to talk to them to confirm their own materials. Once the OPSC confirmed it, they offered to let me talk to a supervisor. The supervisor was well aware of the problem and assured me it was my fault that Continental's website could not display EQMs properly and I should know better (fail on attitude). She told me I would have to work with reservations to see if they could change it, but there would most certainly be a fare change and change fee.

After another 45 minutes with reservations, the reservations supervisor was able to help out. Yes, I had to pay the fare difference, but it was well worth it considering this flight is the difference between me making gold or not. She was very helpful and polite the entire time and agreed that it was very confusing on the website.

I don't know the reasons why continental.com can not be coded to display miles and EQMs properly on codeshares, but consider this fair warning when booking codeshares. You have to check the mileage earning chart. You can not trust what is displayed to you before you book your fare or what is displayed on your reservation after ticketing.

SC Flier and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I've never experienced this but thanks for the lesson learned.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that it is not just codeshares but also any OAL flight where the numbers may be wrong. Co.com is pretty bad for getting the number of miles earnt correct for anything other than CO metal flights. And even on those it has quirks.