REMINDER: pick choice benefits based on 2010 earnings by the end of February 2012

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget. Your chance to pick choice benefits from miles you earned in 2010 (or rolled over to 2010) will expire at the end of this month. Gifted elite status from the 2010 MQMs will expire very soon, so do not pick that option. SWUs and the DL ecert will have expiration dates one year after their selection.

You have another year to make your choice benefit selections for the choices earned during 2011, although for the gifted status, the sooner the better in most cases. For the SWU and DL ecert options, remember that later selections mean later expiration dates, so strategize carefully.

Also, if you have both DM and PM choices, be sure to compare carefully: The DL or Tiffany gift cards (really a DL ecert or a Tiffany card mailed to USA addresses) are for $200 whether PM or DM, while the number of SWUs or bonus miles are different for PM versus DM levels. Note that the two DM choices must be different and must be selected at the same time.

2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder. I still have PM and DM benefits to pick.

Thank you,
    David

stimpy and rwoman like this.
  3. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great heads up. May I cut-n-past you for my blog - HT to you. Could not have said it better! - Rene

stimpy, rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Sure, providing that this would not violate MP rules and that you acknowledge both me (as MSPeconomist) and MP.

mattsteg, stimpy and rwoman like this.
  5. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You got it. What you said and a link to this post. Thanks!

stimpy and rwoman like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where on DL's website do you make this election?

rwoman, stimpy and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to go to delta.dumb and then search for choice benefits when logged in. Clicking of the first item brings you to the right place.

rwoman and stimpy like this.
  9. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I chose the travel voucher, thinking it would either be sent by email, or I could choose where I wanted it sent. But it didn't give me an option and it's too late to go back. Can I call Delta and ask them to send it to me at an address other than the one on my profile?

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, the $200 Delta travel voucher has always come to my email within a day or so of making my selection.

deltaGOLDflyer and stimpy like this.
  11. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad I have another year, since I just earned PM in 2011 for the first time. I'm inclined to take the 20K miles (or maybe $200 TCV), but there's a remote chance that someone else will be footing the bill for YBM tickets in the next couple of months. Thus, I'm waiting to see if that happens and SWUs become sensible. (The chance is very remote, but it's nice to be able to wait.)

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should get an email with the number and a security code within about a day. Then a bit after that, it appears in your account as an ecert. There's nothing mailed for the DL travel voucher, only for the Tiffany gift card (which I guess is why that option is for USA addresses only).

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that I like to think of these as choice benefits earned or based on 2010 MQMs. In Delta-speak, I think they say choice benefits for the 2011 program year, which I personally find confusing.

If you have reached PM or DM based on 2012 MQMs already, including rollover from 2011, your choice benefits should be available by March 1 if not already. These woould be choice benefits for the 2013 program year because you have already earned status which will be good throughout 2013. It can seem confusing.

14. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! One other question. If in March I choose again the travel cert for the next year (I too am confused by how Delta refers to the years), can I combine two certs while buying a single ticket?

15. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would seem you still can. But keep in mind that the ETV's for bumps only one now per ticket!

This Delta eCerts Credit Voucher may be combined with up to a maximum of two other Delta eCerts Credit Vouchers, or two other Delta eCredits (excluding eGift Certificates), provided the person to whom each certificate is issued is traveling in the same reservation. This Delta eCerts Credit Voucher may be combined with a wholly unused ticket to purchase a new ticket, provided the name on the Delta eCerts Credit Voucher, if stated, and the name on the wholly unused ticket are the same. This Delta eCerts Credit Voucher may not be combined with any Group Fares.

New and old ETV bump rules:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltapoints/files/2012/01/terms-and-conditions-bump-voucher.jpg

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm bumping this up since the deadline is approaching fast.

18. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    +1 ReTweeted it as well! (just click tweet button below)

19. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh...missed this. Wrote a nice note to SkyMiles via Delta.com hoping for an exception. We will see...

Maybe they will take pity that none of the SWUs I selected last year got used.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    BUMP. [it's that time of year again.....only a few days left before that $200 DL travel voucher or those miles or SWUs are gone forever]

21. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are these the ones that DL calls 2012 that are expiring (I can't keep their logic straight)?

22. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that sounds right. The ones based on flying in 2011 for your 2012 status year. I picked mine long ago when I had an employer that would buy DL W fares for me to upgrade. Now waiting to decide what to do with my 2013 bennies earned in 2012. Definitely not SWUs, so probably $200 ECV or 20K miles.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have both PM and DM choices, note that DM gives you more SWUs and more miles, but the same $200 DL ECV as PMs get.