ReloadIT versus Greendot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by andhoova, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an AccountNow Visa which can be reloaded with ReloadIT and Greendot moneypaks. My current strategy is to buy ReloadIT cards in $800 increments (some of them allow up to $950) at grocery stores with my Amex PRG and get 2x MR points. The ReloadIT paks are still only $3.95 regardless of whether you purchase the $500 or the $950 ones. The Greendot Moneypaks are also $3.95 and can only be purchased with a max value of $500.

Based on this, why is everyone so high on Greendot over ReloadIT? Is it just because Greendot is so much easier to find?

2. adr1987

adr1987 Active Member

Status Points:

I think it is exactly as you say - GD is just easier to find. In fact I have never seen a Reloadit Pack for sale. Where do you find them?

3. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found them at Safeway in $500 or $950 maximums and Harris Teeter with $500 maximum.

I purchased them at Safeway several times without a problem until earlier this week when a manager stopped me and said cash only.

4. adr1987

adr1987 Active Member

Status Points:

Unfortunately no Safeways or Harris Teeters around where I live :(

Gristedes is supposed to have them too, but the one closest to me didn't have them either...

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see GreenDots all over the place in Florida, but I can't buy ANY with credit cards. I found ONE store that will sell me REloadits, and I buy $5k a month from them. It would make my life a lot easier if I could find some GD's for sale with CC. CVS doesn't allow it, but they allow it for VR's...

6. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would you rather have GreenDots, just for the convenience?

7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:

I prefer to spread my purchasing out to as many brand names as possible, so that my account doesn't look like I frequent one location for big $ purchases. Variety ain't just the spice of life...

Radio Shack even sells Green Dots, but cash only here in FL.

jojim likes this.
  8. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried to get Reloadits at Ralphs and they thought I was a criminal. Wouldn't even try my credit card once I said $900.

9. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a manager at Safeway tell me cash only the other day. I walked out the door and into the other door, grabbed another ReloadIT card and loaded $800 at another register with no problem

jojim likes this.
  10. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had any real issues getting a reloadit card for $500 or less... 2 out of the 3 times I have tried to get one for $900 I have been turned down... and the one time it did go through the manager yelled at the cashier (which I felt bad about). I think the $900 amount just seems a bit high for them. They see gift cards that go up to $500 all of the time on the shelves but not too often does someone come by and want one for $900... I'll stick to the $500 and just be happy.

11. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    At a Krogers (in Dallas) where I buy Visa GC's for $500 without incident I tried a GreenDot today for $500 and they said it rings up on the register as something you can not buy with a CC, there was no way to make it work.

12. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do the Visa gift cards work? Do you load them onto a prepaid card?

13. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Visa GC is $500 + 5.95 activation at purchase. You call the number on the back and assign a pin. Go load it to a BB in a WM and it's considered a cash reload.

VR is a little cheaper and you can load it without going into WM but they can be a lot harder to find and purchase with CC.

14. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

15. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am fortunate and can purchase VR's locally. They are $2 cheaper however the real benefit to me is the online reload process is simple an easy. VR's a much more convenient.

It also looks like Account Now may be cracking down on some aspects of their use so I'm steering clear of those for now.

16. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you still purchasing REloadits with a CC? If so, where? I havent seen any in FL.

17. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was purchasing them regularly at Safeway grocery stores in Northern Virginia but Account Now just closed my account, I assume due to the same crackdown as others have reported. Since I won't be using Account Now anymore I don't know which cards to use to add ReloadIts to. Any ideas on new cards?

18. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have heard of many stories of Account Nows being closed so I was wondering the same thing. Cards with lower fees and ones that typically dont get shut down.

19. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There really isn't a "good" option. Perhaps get another Accountnow card in your spouses name? I considered going that route after I got shut down.

20. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if you are just going to use it for manufactured spending, why go through the trouble knowing that this one will be shut down as well?

21. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because that "trouble" still earned me over 20k points/miles before it was shut down. If that's not worth it to you, then by all means, sit it out.

22. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL. not bad

23. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that with the recent news of people's accounts being shut down every month it seems like you will be lucky to even get by for 2 months. What I meant was why continue to use such a shady company like AccountNow when there are other card options like Bluebird or the H&R Block card? I too have been earning lots if points with AccountNow but now that they have basically temporarily stolen 2k of my money I don't want anything to do with them

24. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Soo, what has your experience been with H&R Block? How long have you used it without account closing?

25. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've actually not used them as I just went back to Bluebird, but others report really liking their H&R Block Accounts.