Reliable Car Service?

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by Pizzaman, Jun 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I used to have a reliable service when I lived in NY. My travels are starting to take me back there more frequently and the cab line at LGA is usually pretty bad. Anyone have a service they can recommend?

2. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use Dial 7. LGA to midtown is $29, $33 return - $5 off coupon in Hemispheres magazine.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US Airways Shuttle car service negotiated rate is quite reasonable (~$40 iirc). My last car service at my corporate rate was a ridiculous $92 from right outside the midtown tunnel... They have a rep in Terminal C to help coordinate

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    second Dial7

wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Dial7 is the cheapo option, but IME the drivers are pretty bad.

The only time I've ever had a problem with Groundlink is the Sheraton Meadowlands, since all GPS systems have it in a different location. They're real-time in NYC, download their app and they don't require advance reservations. And there are usually good discounts. http://www.retailmenot.com/view/groundlink.com

I haven't tried Sedan Magic yet, they're also real-time in NY I believe via their app.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use UTOG. They are a bit more expensive but 100% reliable IME and I have no qualms about paying the little bit extra for that. The catch is that you have to establish an account in advance.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendations. For those that may venture out, I did book a car before the replies on this thread wandered in. I chose New Enrico's, and it wasn't pretty. It wasn't horrible, but it took quite some time for the driver to find me, and the car wasn't in the best shape.

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bet you're glad you didn't choose Old Enrico's!

wrxmom, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chuckle. I used to use Bell Cab, but when I Googled them I found Bell Cab and New Bell Cab. Both had horrible Yelp reviews. Randomly called two other companies who couldn't pick me up and ended up with Enrico's. :p

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Groundlink isn't perfect but they price reasonably much of the time, text you when you're car is on the way and when it's arrived, including a phone # to get connected directly to your driver, and on their app you can track the car that's coming for you. So they're getting the technology right. Real-time in NYC so don't need advance reservations as you do elsewhere, discounts, online booking. Customer service responds to emails quickly. I don't like that phone calls to them can queue for several minutes though.

Wandering Aramean and marcwint55 like this.
  11. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Groundlink as well. My most recent Dial 7 experience will hopefully be my last. They are cheaper, but I'll pay a little extra next time and go back to Groundlink!

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had good luck with Carey