Related Threads, Tagging

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by skyhook, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    While the hierarchical nature of forums, sub-forums, and threads is analogous to a physical world (of filing cabinets, floors/rooms in a building, etc), there are things we can do to transcend that in the virtual world.

I suggest adding the ability to apply tags to threads and/or the ability for users to see "related" threads.

Examples:

1. If I am viewing a thread about a fare deal to a certain destination, it would be useful to see related Travel/Dining threads for that destination.

2. If I am viewing a thread about a promotion, it would help to see threads for similar promotions from the past.

3. If I am reading about an airport lounge run by one airline in an alliance, it'd be useful to have links to threads about other lounges in the alliance/airport.

These are just off the top of my head. You might have better examples!

Thoughts on this idea?

resipsa99 likes this.
  2. Tagging is great for advertising revenue,(building traffic) as well as search.

The problem with tagging is most people don't use it in a forum.
    You see higher use of it in Blogs and other places where they want to promote it :p

resipsa99 likes this.
  3. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of tagging pulling up related searches, but get Piqaro's point about most people not tagging...or those using it to promote their own interests. Perhaps there is a way it could be done automatically using similar algorithms that choose ads?

skyhook likes this.