Rejection Help

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by sharris503, Jan 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just denied my first credit card app. I applied for the Citi Thank You card. They pulled from Experian. I have a 750 credit score on Experian. The basis for the denial was too many inquires. On Experian I have 4 credit inquires 2 from Bank of America and 2 from refinancing my home in the summer. I was surprised they consider 4 credit inquires too many. I have not tried calling the reconsideration line because I understand they are not very helpful. The Million Mile Secrets blog says the best bet with Citi is to write them. Should I call, write, or both?

traveler, Gargoyle and deant like this.
  2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I got rejected from Citi I just called the recon line and spoke to a rep. I told them that i have never had a late payment, i have a good history with Citi, how much i like Citi...blah blah blah. Put me on hold for a few seconds and the rep came back and was able to approve me for the card. This was with about 8 inquiries on my file and a score of 730.

traveler, Gargoyle and deant like this.
  3. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely call them first. My experience with them has been with the AA cards and they have not been helpful. Unlike Chase. However, it is worth the call as the post by NickM is proof. I had a poor experience with the executive credit dept. as well. I wish Citi was more like Chase. I hope you have better luck with them.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My experience with Citi is that they will allow many more pulls than Chase before they start rejecting applications. In the past, Citi would allow basically 1 hard pull per month for the preceding 6 months. Chase, OTOH, will normally only allow 2 or 3.

I would call Citi and talk to a rep. I suspect you will get approved once you explain the situation.

traveler, sharris503 and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't get me wrong it was like pulling teeth and a lot of ”you guys are an awesome bank” talk. I agree, Chase its MUCH easier and much more pleasant to talk to. If Chase allowed us to have more credit cards, I would definitely keep all my cars with them...

mailbroad and sharris503 like this.
  6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I don't understand, Citi certainly has a reputation with being more forgiving with the number of inquires. That's why I don't understand how I was denied with only 4 in the last two years. I suppose since all of them were from 2011 that might have something to do with it, but I was still surprised. I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see how it goes.

I was planning on doing the two browser trick in April for the AA cards. Now I am a little nervous about being approved for both cards.

traveler likes this.
  7. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got approved after calling (I hate calling). I have 11 hard pulls on Experian and this was my 5Th? Citi AAvantage card. The call was basically painless; I did get put on hold several times while they checked with a supervisor. They ended up reallocating some of my credit lines among the now 3 cards that are open. All in all it took about 10-12 minutes. All in all an easier experience than I had with Chase the one time I was rejected by them. (It took 4 or 5 calls but I finally got the 100K BA miles :))

deant likes this.
  8. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I refuse any more Citi cards. I had a couple before after the previous companies switching over to them. They ended up cancelling me because I didn't use them enough, regardless of credit rating etc. etc. These days, I just don't even consider them even though right after cancelling me, they are offering me a new card right off the bat. Even BOA treats me with more respect;)

9. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh! I called they were not the least bit helpful. They told me to mail in a copy of my credit inquires showing that 2 of the 4 inquires were for refinancing my home. In fact they said the rejection had nothing to do with my credit worthiness it was solely because of the number of inquiries. I wonder if I am getting such a hard time because I have never had credit with them before.

They asked me to mail the information to the Correspondence Department. Anyone think I should just go straight to the Executive Review Department? That is what I am inclined to do.

deant likes this.
  10. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's sooo annoying, sorry to hear that. It wouldn't hurt to call them again and hopefully talk to someone who might be a little bit more helpful. You never know. If that doesn't work, I say you send two letters, one to the corr dept and another to the exec review dept. That's what I would do.

deant likes this.
  11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that you should call again. Which phone number did you use? According to MMS, the actual credit department is 800-763-9795. If that is unsuccessful, then would send the 2 letters.

12. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes that's the number I called. Call again, huh? They don't keep notes in their system that they have already talked to me? I guess there is no harm in calling again.

13. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they do. I've called several times before and each rep made no reference to my previous calls.

14. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    +1. I actually got recon approval of a second citi AA card after the 1st was approved. Just have an application id or whatever it is that pops up on the screen when it says pending.

15. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I think I have gotten to the bottom of this. I have been relying on my Citi IdentityMonitor for the accuracy of my report. I pulled my experian credit report from annualcreditreport.com and it looks like Citi did not pull the credit report until the day after I applied. Which means the two inquires from Chase and BoA that occured the day prior showed up on my credit inquiries. Translation, what they saw was that I applied for three cards on one day. Yuck. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Or am I SOL?

Also of note, Chase pulled from equifax and experian. Ugh. They are not making it easy on me.

16. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is another update. I called the reconsideration line again and it turns out they do keep track of your phone calls. The first words out of the reps mouth was "I see you called yesterday have you sent in your credit report?" I talked to him more about that and basically what he told me is that Citi scores your credit report and each card has a different minimum score required for approval. He said that the Thank You card has the highest minimum score because it is their best card offer right now. He also said I would likely be approved if I applied in the future or if I applied for a different card. Lastly, he told me that if I send in the credit report there is a chance they can make it work for me. By sending it in an underwriter will manually score the application for me. I'm still not sure if I want to send in my entire credit report because then they will see all the soft pulls as well as all my hard pulls. On the other hand what do I have to lose by sending in the entire report, the worst they can do is say no, which they already have. What would you do?

deant likes this.
  17. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would send it in. The soft pulls mean nothing.

traveler and tondoleo like this.
  18. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If at first you don't succeed try try again. If the points are worthwhile.;)

traveler and deant like this.
  19. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well now we know that Citi logs your calls. I would still send it in.

traveler likes this.
  20. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing to lose but points to gain, send it in. Good luck!

deant likes this.
  21. finite7777

finite7777 Member

Status Points:
    I have marginally fair credit. I can't get Citi, BofA or Barclays to give me the time of day. I have 7 Chase and 4 Amex cards, all in the last 14 months. I have 4 inquiries in the last 30 days and over 25 on my credit report right now. Citi blows. I get my revenge on BofA by buying their stock at 5.20 and using the gains to offset my miles lol.

22. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Amazed that you received 7 chase cards in the last 14 months. If you have 4 inquiries in the last 30 days, I don't believe any bank will give you another card. You probably need to sit it out for awhile and let your credit score improve. Just my thoughts.

infamousdx and miles and smiles like this.
  23. bonesaz

bonesaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was denied for too many inquiries on the AA Business card, called in and they said it was too many inquiries in a short period of time for other credit cards that was the issue. The rep suggested waiting for 4-6 months and applying again, she said after 60 days on their side the application drops off your record and it's like you never applied. Not sure I believe all of that, but bottom line, no business card for 50k AA miles. I did get the business card for 75k miles last year, but they didn't mention anything about 18 months between the same card or having the card at all in the past. Not sure talking with another rep will help or the result will be the same?

So I have no issues getting Chase, Amex and BofA cards, just need to find more ways to stock up on AA miles since the awards seem to be more available than star alliance ones, especially to Asia.

24. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried Fidelity and TD Ameritrade bonus offers?

25. salmon515151

salmon515151 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey
    I was just reading through and I noticed this last post about deant. He was just suggesting that you might need to wait a couple a months. He didn't mean that you have to wait, just in his experience that is what he has learned. That's great you got approved but no need to say he gave you "bad advice." I think any advice is good advice. We are all trying to help each other get the most points possible so no need to get angry.

jbcarioca, NickM_LA, traveler and 3 others like this.