Rejected for Citi AA Visa, AMEX -- Help!

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MaryDarling, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Applied for both the 75K Visa and Amex, using two browsers and applying at the same time for each. Did not get immediate approval or rejection, but today received an e-mail denying me for both because of "too many credit inquiries." I got a BA card in May and an AMEX premier rewards in June; other than that, the only thing they might have is for a car loan back in February. Credit is fine, $0 balance on all cards, and I only have one very old Citi card -- no balance, but I keep it open because it's 15 years old.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to hold off on all credit card applications until everything ages off my credit report? How is churning possible if two inquiries is too many?

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would write a letter asking for reconsideration. Present your positive points. Strong credit score, stable income, etc. Perhaps you will get one of the cards. Good luck.

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi's reconsideration line is 888-201-4523.
    I have no personal experience, just found the number on the internet for you.
    You may want to do a little research on Citi reconsideration before you call.

4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit inquiries stay on for two years. Five in 8 months is actually a lot. If calling them does nothing, take a break because you are hurting your credit.

Have you looked at your credit scores? Sign up for Credit Karma and see what kind of shape you're in.

5. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in pretty good shape -- above 720. The five is because I bought a car back in February, and 3 of the 5 were for car loan options. The fourth was for my Amex Premier Rewards and the fifth was Citi itself. Additionally, my credit utilization is usually under 5% and has been for years. Nope, it's the car loan shopping that's killing me, which I hope to point out when I call for reconsideration.

How do people churn cards without getting caught by too many inquiries?