Reinstating miles with USAir

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by TravelBear, Jul 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend at work has 60k miles that he needs to reinstate. The USAir page gave the options of paying cash and applying for a cc. Is this an either/or option for him? My thinking is if it is an "or" situation then he should apply for the cc and meet the reqs which will net him more miles. Also, we are unsure if reinstating those miles will make him eligible for USAirs Preferred status if those miles met preferred originally.

Thanks!

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the money or CC, but for Preferred Status, but I am pretty certain the miles would have to have been earned entirely in 2011 or since January 1, 2012 to qualify for current elite status.

3. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey TravelBear -

It's an 'or' situation. I agree that the credit card would be the better option (the miles get reinstated with the first qualifying purchase) if he's planning to be active about maximizing the benefits he gets from the Dividend Miles program.

He would not qualify for preferred status based on the reinstatement. He would have to earn enough qualifying miles within 2012 to gain preferred status.

JohnDeere19 likes this.