Reimbursement from United?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lusfort, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, I've got a question for you guys out there.

Long story short, I was supposed to fly out of Chancellorsville to San Francisco via IAD

The first leg of the trip from CHO to IAD was delayed due to the plane not arriving.

Therefore, I made my way by car to IAD directly to catch the flight to SFO.

I was wondering if anyone had prior experience as to what recourse actions are available for my situation. Would i be entitled to compensation?

I lost about 500 PQM + fuel + parking cost. Wonder if they would cover this?

Thanks for all the help!

tommy777 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are lucky they didn't cancel the entire trip on you. I've not heard of them giving mileage and parking. That would have been your choice outside of the terms and conditions of the ticket purchase.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status on UA, and what was your fare?

I've had success on different carriers, when I was on a high fare and had status. Write a letter and send it in...include copies of your receipts. Worst thing they do is say no.

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    This should have been agreed to at the CHO airport before taking action yourself. UA has no responsibility to cover these costs.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

-RM

5. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big MKE/MSN flier, which is about 90min from ORD and these get canceled all the time during mx. Now I haven't had any problems post merger, but pre merger...

The biggest thing will be why the cancellation. Was it UA's fault?
    I have been bussed at UA's cost by a UA employee to ORD, I did get credit for the bussage after emailing.
    I would never expect to get miles for the missed portion if you are driving yourself or paid for fuel/park.
    You can get a refund for the portion of the UX ticket, but you have to ask. Best by email as most agents will tell you they do not refund for trips
    You sometimes will get compensation, my first time I emailed for a refund on unused portions I ended up with a $200ec on a flight that was $100

6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get to an airport and things get canceled that will force a misconnect, they should you the second bp and let you drive yourself if you ask. I have never had a problem with this, I guess they key in something that allows the skipping of a segment since my return seg is always intact even to the previous return point not the connection point.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They add an ARUNK to your reservation. It stands for arrival unknown and basically tells the reservations system to not auto-cancel if earlier segments are dropped. This is also how agents can protect you on multiple alternate flights if a delay or other IRROPs occur.

8. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, thanks for all the kind reply.

That was exactly what the agent at the counter did.

Overall, I didn't spend too much time arguing at the desk with the agent as there was nothing much he could have done at the small airport. The plane was late from IAD because of some severe storm somewhere else on the east coast.

I actually got lucky and found a family of 4 that had the same itinerary as I am, so i managed to hitch a ride from them to D.C. where I chiped in for Gas and Parking. ( very very lucky for me)

I'm a Premier Gold with UA, and will be writing them a mail to see what happens.

9. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now this is strange, UA actually credited me for the leg that I didn't fly from CHO to IAD.

Wonder if I should still proceed to seek compensation for the unused portion or just accept the 500pqm/750rdm that was posted.

tommy777 likes this.
  10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. It sounds like the agent might have "boarded" you on the flight as a favor.

11. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've no idea what they are up to nowadays.

There was once where i emailed them trying to do a retroactive claim for my gf for a itinerary that occurred last November that hadn't been credited to her account. Instead, they credited the mileage to me instead ( no complaints there ahaha)

hulagrrl210 and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    AGREED !

tommy777 likes this.
  13. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    The family in front of me asked about that, and CHO being a small regional airport didn't have any high level staff around. I guess I could use the travel delay claim on my MP explorer. Let's see how that goes

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I loved flying out of CHO when I attended UVA many moons ago, icing on the cake was getting FFCC'd from a 2-cabin 752 to the pointy end of a 3-cabin 777 on IAD-LAX as part of a Business Class Star award...

15. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wa hoo Wa!

HeathrowGuy likes this.