Reimagining Restaurant-Quality Dining at 35,000 Feet

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Oct 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:
    • We introduced completely new lunch and dinner multi-course, chef-inspired menus, and continue to offer our signature made-to-order sundaes for dessert followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
    • Short-haul flights between 2:20 and 2:30 hours feature a plated snack service on flights departing before 1:30 p.m., dinner from 4 to 8 p.m., and refreshments between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m. and also after 8 p.m.Note: Some markets will continue to offer a full meal service during mealtimes (e.g., flights between NYC and ORD)
    • Lunch has been expanded to all medium-haul over 3 hours, and departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m.
    • A hot snack offering and pre-arrival refreshment will be served on flights longer than 5:20 hours (transcon excluding p.s.) departing after 8 p.m., and also between Hawaii and Denver, Los Angeles and San Francisco.
    • A multi-course dinner service followed by midflight snacks and pre-arrival snack will be offered on flights departing after 8 p.m. between Hawaii and Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington/Dulles.
    • Additional menu enhancements:
    -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
    -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
    -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
    -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours​

Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

• Aside from the popular artisan cheese selection, we’re launching new Bistro on Board menu items with bold flavors on most flights longer than 3.5 hours, and departing before 8 p.m.
    • Skillet meals on lunch/dinner flights have been expanded to most flights departing between 9:45 a.m. and 8 p.m.

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider

Cochiti, Dublin_rfk and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the opportunity(?) to have five of the new menu meals on Wednesday. I will say that I was impressed by the quality and taste of some of the lunch and dinner (2 each) offerings.

Garp74 likes this.
  3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the Chicken Fiesta Bowl today on IAH-ORD (who doesn't love a fiesta?). It was a bit of chicken, roasted corn, black beans, and rice. Taste was good, although my portion was a tad small for a lunch flight. Definitely cheap for UA to produce, though.

bmg42000, ssullivan and Dublin_rfk like this.
  4. alanro

alanro Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had coffee with a warm scone on the very short SFO-LAX flight this morning, and Beef Provencal with raspberry sorbet for dessert flying LAX-ORD. Surprisingly tasty, and a noted improvement from some of the meals I've been served even a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to be served any hot food on the flight to LAX.

mht_flyer and ssullivan like this.
  5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week I flew EWR-NAS breakfast flight, had the Quiche, not bad.

On the return it was absolutely awful, a "Reuben" that was 2 pieces of corned beef and cheese, no sauerkraut or thousand islands. Awful and had to use fork and knife.

I guess they get crappier meals on NAS-EWR due to catering in NAS, but it still is awful when they tout the new and improved food choices.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we stop using "restaurant quality" in marketing speak regarding food? Seriously, "restaurant quality" doesn't mean jack. McDonald's is a restaurant. Denny's is a restaurant. Neither is getting any Michelin stars or James Beard awards.

I'm thrilled UA is continuing to improve its food. I flew domestic F on UA for the first time in more than a year about 10 days ago and my dinner was a marked improvement since my last experience with UA's domestic F catering. But, it wasn't on par with what I'd consider a very good restaurant, and honestly, I can make better tasting food at home. It did meet my expectations, though, which was that it would have flavor, look and taste pretty good (there's only so much that can be done with reheated airplane food), and not leave me feeling hungry. It fit that bill. But, please, put some creativity into the marketing of the meals. "Restaurant quality" is a cop out that says, "We don't know how else to say it's not bad."

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's right. I prefer the use of #cleaneating to denote high quality foodstuffs.

8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should hire you to post the new meals on social media, and to hashtag them appropriately. :)

Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My services are for sale. They'd get like, at least 40 likes per post.

Flyer1976, Dublin_rfk and ssullivan like this.
  10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can get you some business cards made: genemk2, food whore.

11. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Jain Vegetarian meal I had on EWR-BOM 3 days ago was actually worse in quality and taste than the food I have had on this flight (several occassions) in the past.

anileze likes this.
  12. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious, are you a Jain ? Jain food ( not cuisine) is rather restrict. People who order Jain meal do it for purely and exclusively religious reasons.

snod08 likes this.
  13. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not Jain. But prefer that meal on flights if offered.
    Am vegetarian

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh God yes. To be specific, blast-chilled and reheated in a dubious airline oven airplane food.

Now, there are tricks to making things work better (a braise, curry or stew is more likely to end up with palatable meat instead of hockey pucks because of the wet heat keeping things moist, for instance), but realistically, the most of what you can expect of most airlines in business or domestic first is food that a competent diner could pull off. And yes, I can pull off good steaks at home too. ;)

(Additional note: I hope they get to more sous-vide cooking on planes soon. That could really help things.)

ssullivan likes this.
  15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I had the reuben, which was complete (avec dressing and a
    few shreds of kraut) and not terrible. I could imagine it being served
    at Denny's.

anileze likes this.
  16. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ImageUploadedByInsideFlyer1448578920.299828.jpg

This was very good. 2-inch cut, perfectly cooked and juicy throughout. Veggies still had snap to them. I would have been happy if I ordered this on the ground at a non-chain restaurant and paid $30.

17. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew BOM-EWR on No-29. The first meal (Dinner) (Vegetarian Jain) was not really good at all. (similar to my EWR-BOM flight a few days back).

However, the pre-arrival meal (breakfast) was actually pretty good. It was South-Indian style food...with mini-Dosas, Idlis and Upma; served with Sambhar (the dipping sauce).
    Here is a picture.

UA 49 VJML Breakfast 29Nov15.jpg

anileze, Flyer1976 and ssullivan like this.
  18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That actually looks decent, I'm now craving Indian food for Brekkie. ;)

anileze and snod08 like this.
  19. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious, what does Continental serve as Jain food on BOM-EWR route ?

20. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cannot understand your question.

Are you asking about CO when CO existed? No Continental Airlines anymore, as you know.
    Its all UA.

Jain meal is always Indian food on the current UA BOM-EWR-BOM flights.
    Example of breakfast on BOM-EWR was shown in my earlier post.

Flyer1976, ssullivan and anileze like this.
  21. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know it is UA, but in reality it's still CO mindset on that route ;)

When I used to fly EWR-DEL-EWR, Indian meal going out were never same coming back. Never tried Jain on the plane, hence my question.

22. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah.
    It's just indian food. That's pretty much it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk