Regulating baggage fees will cost us more

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by 8MiHi, Mar 14, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/14/if-congress-cuts-airline-fees-who-would-suffer.html
    Some folks in Congress seem intent on re-regulating the airlines. Everything that constituents complain about to their congressman seems to be the subject of a bill; seating pitch and width, baggage fees and change fees are targeted.
    While I think some of these practices are only possible in a highly consolidated industry, it is clear that there are ways around many of them. Most of the time. If you plan, have status or the right credit card you can generally avoid the fees.
    As noted in the article, these fees are now an important part of airline revenue. Any regulatory lowering of these fees would likely result in higher base fares which we could not avoid.

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know what you are saying buy precisely it can be avoided by the frequent travellers which pays a lot of their bills, airlines kind of got away with it. If they are forced to "absorb" and raise fares without doing other cost savings stuff, folks now compare apples to apples and purchase what makes sense. Might force the airlines to reconsider alternatives or offer more or new perks to the frequent fliers.

Counsellor likes this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unbundling of services can make sense when not abused. As a MM, I am not currently subject to most of these. Friends and family members who have not earned status know that sometimes they have to take the hit or find the right work-around.
    Penalties for changes also makes sense on the lowest priced fares as one of the likely alternatives would be to make some fares unchangeable. Cutting other costs and raising other perks seems a stretch.