Regular spend, AA visa, AA MC, BA or us air card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by daninstl, Apr 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for such a basic question. I've gone through and read different experts but would like some opinions.

I have the two citi AA cards (visa and MC) and I have the Barclay us air and chase BA card. I put most of my hotels on my priority club chase card as I stay at a lot of IHG properties but my other business expenses like gas, food, office supplies and misc stuff ($600 to $1000 monthly) typically go to one of the other cards. Plus I put personal spend on those cards for stuff like groceries, clothing, etc. ($1000 per month avg.) This month I've thrown everything on the AA MC as it has the 3x offer but I've maxed that out. Which of these cards do you think is best? I know there are others out there but I'm a couple months from a churn.

Thanks

2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The correct answer is: none of the above, when reviewing the cards without taking anything other than the cards into account. When reviewing your own personal situation, the card you'd pick would come down to how you value the points in each program. Since they all are 1 pt per $ for standard spend, the answer for me would be to concentrate on the card for the miles you're looking to redeem the soonest. At those spend numbers, it's probably not going to make a big difference where you put 4,000 miles before you get to the next AoR.

You might get an offer from US for a 3 month spend for bonus miles as well, then you'd switch your allegiance to that one among your cards you listed.

daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I agree that I might wait for the us air 3 month bonus deal so I'll leave that one alone for awhile. I know it will change on the next churn.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless something changed, the BA card has 1.25 miles per dollar. Not a huge difference, I know.

servo likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mistake - but alas, the analysis doesn't really change.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. karlmitchell

karlmitchell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends where you live and where you want to fly. In the US, BA redemptions on AA tend to burn less miles, at least on direct short- to mid-haul routes, and so coupled with the 1.25x rather than 1x earn you're probably going to be better off there, although the BA website is a little more clunky. On the whole, though, you're putting the cart before the horse. Decide where you want to go first, and then decide on the most efficient utilisation of credit cards to get there.

7. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered getting the Ink Bold and getting 5x on office supplies, internet, cable, phone etc.

You can transfer their points into IHG.

Perhaps you could get some new cards and put your monthly spend on those to get the larger sign up bonus...

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally think that transferring UR points into IHG is a terrible transfer rate at 1:1 and wouldn't do it, considering you can buy IHG points for $0.007.

9. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just mentioned that (and should have been clearer) in case they were short a few points they could transfer in. I find that Hyatt is a great deal with UR points anyway. I earned most of my points at 5x, so my numbers are a little different I guess.

How can you get IHG points for $0.007?

Thanks!