Regal Crown Club

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by Casey Friday, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are always coupon codes on SlickDeals or straight up sales on Groupon/Living Social/Gilt City/something else for Fandango movie ticket purchases. Since Fandango sells Regal Cinemas tickets in my city, I decided to join the Regal Crown Club.

They have "$2 Candy Monday" and "$2 Popcorn Tuesday", and other awesome deals, just for going to the movies. The sweetie and I love to go to the movies, so it works out great for us, and we usually spend less than $10 for two tickets, popcorn, and icee!

Horse, wheat27 and mikeef like this.
  2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMC just changed their program to be more like Regal's, i.e., based on the amount of $$ you spend. Kinda sucks, since I never buy candy or soda at the theater. If I'm so inclined, there's a CVS a few blocks away.

Mike

3. wanderinghome

wanderinghome Active Member

Status Points:
    As a long-time (ish) AMC Moviewatcher member they sent me a free Stubs card for a year, but I'm also not happy with the new program, as I bought all my movie tickets from costco (2x gold passes for $17) and received points even when I used them. They also used to take gold passes for any movie, IMAX and 3D included, now they add a surcharge. (or just bring your own glasses and use the pass for any other non 3D movie playing at a similar time). I've found that if a blockbuster is coming out I can buy advance tickets for all my friends and rack up some rewards under the new program, but that's fairly infrequent. : (

Max M likes this.
  4. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of things I like about the Regal Crown Club is that using a gift card to purchase your concessions and tickets still generates points. I buy discounted gift cards from giftcards.com or plastic jungle to use when I don't have fandango codes.

Casey Friday likes this.
  5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing that really bothers me is paying $5+ for a bottle of water (or a cup of soda) at a concession stand!

Max M and PointsCashMiles like this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    The part that sucks even more with the new AMC program, "Stubs", is that there is an annual fee.

The old AMC MovieWatcher program was free. Granted, from what I remember of it you didn't earn rewards on concessions, but rather the number of movies you actually saw; usually the rewards were much greater than $10 in value after hitting a free ticket threshold.

Under their new "Stubs" program $100 in spend on tickets from AMC= $10 in rewards. However, with the $12 annual fee, you won't be "soft money" [rewards, not physical cash] ahead until you actually spend $200, and earn $20 in rewards. [the rewards are only given out for every $100 spent]

It's really genius for AMC for those that haven't done the math. Get people to pay $12, have moviegoers spend between $100-$200, profit from increased sales, and not have to pay out more in rewards than the annual fee for those that spend less than $199.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    And of course if you have a Visa Signature card this summer and a Regal Theatre that tickets on Fandango, you can get the 2 for 1 ticket offer on Friday showings. :)

mrredskin likes this.
  8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    once per month, per card, tho. So, if you're like me, you could view like 5 movies a month on Fridays!!

9. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. Added "enhancement." I used a coupon for a free popcorn and soda and they refused to upgrade it. So, unless you're paying the outrageous prices for the popcorn or soda, don't plan on getting the extra nickel worth of goodies.

Mike

Max M likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. That's a way to tick off a loyal customer.

Totally forgot about the "concession upgrade" with AMC Stubs--- or in your case, the lack of.

If you're giving them the business to justify a Stubs Membership, AMC should realize that they have a loyal customer.

Refusing to honor an upgrade due to ambiguity/confusion about AMC's loyalty program policy would be like having elite status with an airline, paying for an $1800 domestic F fare, and a ticket counter agent wanting to charge you a baggage overweight fee for your checked luggage when it weighs 50.5lbs, instead of 50lbs. [which I've had happen]

In either case, it's very tacky.

mikeef likes this.
  11. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can sweeten the deal even further buy buying a few Blurays and trading in some DVDs at Best Buy.

Link :)

Max M likes this.
  12. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can really max out the points with particular movie bonuses (5 or 10 points) plus extra 5 points for Thursday. If you buy 2 tix make sure you buy them separately to get those bonuses for each ticket. I don't buy a concession unless I have a free small popcorn or soda and then upgrade to a med/lg for small charge. That will earn you 6 points.

Max M likes this.